Re: MS announces next version of Windows vapourware ..

____/ Doug Mentohl on Saturday 05 April 2008 16:53 : \____

> "Bill Gates on Friday indicated that Windows 7, the next major version
> of Windows, could come within the next year"
>
> http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9911470-56.html
>
> "many organizations may decide to wait and see if they can avoid the
> pain of a Vista rollout altogether"
>
> http://tech.slashdot.org/tech/08/04/05/044213.shtml
>
> "a means to discourage customers from buying competitive products,
>
> (2) a trial balloon for testing the market for a new product and
>
> (3) a way to increase its stock price"
>
> http://www.linfo.org/vaporware.html

That's exactly what it is... and not for the first time either because
Microsoft said 2009 about a year ago, only later to squash the 'incorrect'
statement.

,----[ Quote ]
| From nathanm Mon Oct 01 11:42:05 1990
| To: billg; bradsi;
| Subject: SPARC, MIPS & Compaq
| DateL Tue Oct 02, 22:57:14 1990
|
| [...]
|
| The purpose of announcing early like this is to freeze the market at the
|                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| OEM and ISV level. In this respect it is JUST like the original Windows
| announcement ..
|
| One might worry that this will help Sun because we will just have
|                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| vaporware, that people will stop buying 486 machines, that we will have
| ^^^^^^^^^
| endorsed RISC but not delivered .. So, Scott, do you really think you
| can fight that avalanche?
`----

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/010807/PLEX_0411_A.pdf

They try to freeze the market because they are not obliged to comply with that
leak (or date). You know, like Vista to be released in 2003? And look like
this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b9ifQvQCO7Y

Also of interest:

Imaginary Innovations

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, Intel and Motorola were especially vocal in promoting
| alliances with media brands that, a year later, have fizzled or
| haven't come to fruition at all.
|
| Last year, Microsoft pumped up the crowds about its URGE music
| service, which it created in conjunction with Viacom's MTV. But
| while MTV is just now beginning to promote the service, Microsoft
| seems to have moved on in favor of the Zune Marketplace and the
| potential of satellite TV on Media Center PCs and Xbox 360s.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/01/04/vaporware-ces-gadgets-tech-media-cx_rr_0105vaporware.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/y8fdkr

Vaporware '06: Return of the King

,----[ Quote ]
| 8. The "IPod Killer"
|
| Every time we hear about a new portable audio device, it's touted
| as the magic bullet that will end the iPod's reign once and for
| all.
|
| Oh, you mean that thing? The one with the ugly design and clunky
| user interface? Does it at least work with iTunes?
|
| Microsoft's Zune was supposed to do the trick, but it's sitting
| on the shelves (even the SanDisk Sansa is selling better than Zune)w
| hile the kids are all enjoying their freshly unwrapped, shiny new
| iPods.
|
| Note to everyone: It's a White Wire World. Get over it.
`----

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72350-1.html?tw=wn_story_page_next1

Microsoft Murders Max

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, it's official at any rate. Contrary to what you've heard, Windows
| Vista will not be shipping with any of the original technologies,
| features, capabilities, or subsystems originally promised (and for
| those of you that really couldn't tell: it's called sarcasm!). First
| it was the real Aero - complete visual control over one's system.
| Amazing graphics, sidebars that were a part of the Windows Core,
| Aero Diamond. Then it was NGSCB and its amazing security features
| - not DRM, but total privacy control; your privacy. Monad. Last
| we heard, it was WinFS, the king-pin feature that was promised
| to change the way you think of data... And now the last one is
| gone: Microsoft Max is dead.
`----

http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/277

Microsoft exec "guarantees" graphical superiority for 360 titles

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea of a "guarantee" of better-looking titles is substantially
| silly, however. Graphics quality is often subjective, and without a
| clear horsepower advantage of one system over the other, it will be
| difficult if not impossible to claim that titles on one system look better
| than those on another.

Marketing makes perceptions. Lies can make them too. But the emperor is naked.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Othello for free: http://othellomaster.com
 04:00:03 up 17 days, 15:09,  4 users,  load average: 2.00, 1.79, 1.65