[News] The ODF Data Preservation Advantage; OpenOffice.org 3.0 Previewed

It's the data, stupid

,----[ Quote ]
| I know ODF works and a key point is that there should not be competing
| standards. I also suspect that some of the extreme obfuscation within the
| OOXML format is part of a longer term vendor lock-in plan. Now, the question
| is how to deal with this in my advocacy. The story I tell is this…
|
| “I went to retrieve a word processor document I’d written several years
| before. Actually, quite a long time back, as I had been produced on a
| freeware DOS word processor. I managed to find a PC with a 5.25 inch floppy
| disk drive, and copied the file over. But I didn’t have the program. I opened
| the file in a editor and discovered that it was a mess. Weird characters all
| over the place. I had lost my work.”
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/community_posts/its_data_stupid

Test-driving OpenOffice.org 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| A new interface might have followed Microsoft Office's example and replaced
| tool bars and menus with ribbons, a change that would likely prove unpopular.
|
| As for other features -- well, many builds are still to come between the
| current ones and the final release. But, even if more features are not
| forthcoming, those that are implemented are already enough to make OOo3
| thoroughly welcome.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/130846

Recent:

Will OpenOffice.org 3.0 be better?

,----[ Quote ]
| Following on from my piece on whether OpenOffice.org can do the job I have
| remembered that OpenOffice.org 3.0 is due for release in September. So—with
| my comments on 2.3 in mind—let’s see whether the new version will address my
| needs.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/will_ooo_openoffice_org_be_better

Software: Linux Game: Nexuiz

,----[ Quot ]
| First, I am not a gamer for any platform (Windows, Linux, Playstation, Wii,
| Xbox, etc). That wasn't always the case.
`----

http://www.maysville-linux-users-group.org/article-110-thread-0-0.html

German penal institutions looking into OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like that OpenOffice.org is also being used in areas where many of
| us don't expect it, or wouldn't research for. I have reports that some German
| penal institutions are looking into OpenOffice.org for their daily office
| work.
`----

http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/2008/02/german-penal-institutions-looking-into.html

Just a coincidence?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Davide Dozza, Chairman of Associazione PLIO: "The numbers are
| exactly the same. If it's just a coincidence, it's a very strange one.
| Downloads of the Italian version of OpenOffice.org were 800.000 in 2006 and
| 1.800.000 in 2007: the difference is exactly in the million of Italians
| that - according to Microsoft - have downloaded the trial version of Office
| 2007. We think that these users have decided to switch to OpenOffice.org as
| soon as they have realized that the effort to get used to the new ribbon
| interface is higher than the effort to migrate to the open source suite. In
| 2007, the majority of information requests has been about the compatibility
| with Windows Vista, and the trend stays unchanged in 2008".
`----

http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/2008/01/just-coincidence.html

[German] Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----