[News] Why FOSS on Windows Will Struggle to Flourish Like on GNU/Linux

Is open source for Windows worthwhile?

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source companies can’t act the way Microsoft does. They can’t isolate
| themselves from the communities they serve. They can’t keep aces in the hole
| or up their sleeves, because all the cards — the code — in open source is on
| the table.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2238

Nations that move to Free software already deploy on GNU/Linux as well. With
the Vista/Longhorn disaster, not even half the pie (Windows) can Microsoft
save.

Miserable acts from a company that wants to buy FOSS (Yahoo) and will soon go
into large debt. References below.

Yesterday:

Microsoft Certifying Open Source Apps for Windows Server 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| But Microsoft isn’t stopping there. The company is working with SpikeSource
| to ensure open source applications work with Windows Server 2008. SpikeSource
| has so far certified five PHP applications for Microsoft...
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/04/03/microsoft-certifying-open-source-apps-for-windows-server-2008/

Intel Invests $10 Million More in SpikeSource, Could Boost Lin-Tel Channel

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel says it is entering into a partnership with SpikeSource - - the Kim
| Polese-led, open source-focused, software verification company - - and adding
| $10 million to an earlier investment
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/207001482

Recent:

>From Microsoft's SEC filing: http://www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

“A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating system.
Although we believe our products provide customers with significant advantages
in security, productivity, and total cost of ownership, the popularization of
the open source software model continues to pose a significant challenge to
our business model, including continuing efforts by proponents of open source
software to convince governments worldwide to mandate the use of open source
software in their purchase and deployment of software products. To the extent
open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales of our products
may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for our products, and
revenue and operating margins may consequently decline. ”

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

No Recession at Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| It is flattering to be mentioned, Mr. Whitehurst said, but he noted that
| corporate customers and the industry benefit from what he called Red
| Hat’s “Switzerland status” — not being a province of one of the major powers
| in the technology industry.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/no-recession-at-red-hat/

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205