[News] China's New Anti-monopoly Law Bad News for Microsoft, US Failed to Regulate Market

  • Subject: [News] China's New Anti-monopoly Law Bad News for Microsoft, US Failed to Regulate Market
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 22:31:20 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Big brother China eyes Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| A new Chinese anti-monopoly law due to take effect in August could become the
| thorn in Microsoft's side should it be successful in its takeover bid for
| Yahoo!. The law will allow Chinese regulators the power to examine foreign
| mergers when they involve acquisitions of Chinese companies or foreign
| investment in Chinese companies.
`----

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_Economy/JD05Dj01.html

Going slightly off topic here:

False ideology at the heart of the financial crisis

,----[ Quote ]
| The proposal from Hank Paulson, US Treasury secretary, for reorganising
| government regulation of financial institutions misses the point. We need new
| thinking, not a reshuffling of regulatory agencies.
|
| [...]
|
| Regulators ought to have known better because it was their intervention that
| prevented the financial system from unravelling on several occasions. Their
| success has reinforced the misconception that markets are self-correcting.
`----                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/cb619d4a-00c0-11dd-a0c5-000077b07658,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2Fcb619d4a-00c0-11dd-a0c5-000077b07658.html&_i_referer=

The Great Depression: The sequel

,----[ Quote ]
| A record number of Americans receiving food stamps. Gas prices at an all-time
| high, and staples such as milk, eggs and bread costing a prettier penny every
| week. The average number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits
| reached its highest level in two years last week, while just this week,
| construction spending fell for the fifth straight month and manufacturing
| activity shrank to its lowest level in five years. Real estate values are
| even plummeting in the Hamptons, and hedge funds started off 2008 with their
| worst quarter ever.
`----

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2008/04/02/depression/

Bush still a fan of OOXML/Microsoft/RIAA lobbyist...

Bush flatters Sarkozy as French Elvis

,----[ Quote ]
| It's "Love me tender" between the United States and France after President
| George W. Bush compared French President Nicolas Sarkozy with rock'n'roll
| singer Elvis Presley.
|
| Bush told NATO leaders at a Bucharest summit on Thursday that when Sarkozy
| visited the United States recently, he was seen as "the latest incarnation of
| Elvis".
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSL0377337920080403

Recent:

Sarkozy intervenes in France to revert the OOXML position

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-50670/sarkozy-intervenes-in-france-to-revert-the-ooxml-position

| [Nicolas] Sarkozy and his family have been vacationing at
| a lakefront estate in Wolfeboro owned by former Microsoft Corp. executive
| Michael Appe.
`----

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20137506/

Fran Nevrkla Identifies a Copyright Gap

,----[ Quote ]
| The support for Commissioner McCreevy came from the French President Nicolas
| Sarkozy. Soon after taking office, he set up a commission, led by the head of
| the major retail chain FNAC, to look into copyright and the creative
| industries. Alongside recommendations on ISP responsibility, the commission
| proposed extending copyright and this will be on the agenda when the French
| Government assumes the Presidency of the European Union in July this year.
`----

http://blog.copyrightalliance.org/blog/Fran-Nevrkla-Identifies-a-Copyright-Gap

Is Sarko Uxorious?

,----[ Quote ]
| What this neglects to take into account is the fact that falling into the
| public domain is a gain for the public - and hence the actual moment when it
| becomes part of the "national pop heritage" - and that the gain vastly
| outweighs any minimal effect it has on ageing rockers' royalties.
| Unfortunately, with this action, as with others (including the "three strikes
| and you're out" approach to fighting filesharing), Sarkozy shows himself to
| be an old man - however young his new wife may be.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/is-sarko-uxorious.html

France set to experience a revolution in public broadcast television

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/101533/from/rss09