Re: [News] Large British ISP Refuses to Become RIAA/MPAA B*tch

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Policing internet 'not ISP's job'

,----[ Quote ]
| The head of one of Britain's biggest internet providers has criticised the | music industry for demanding that he act against pirates. | | [...] | | BBC technology correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones said that the music industry | has been fighting a losing battle to prevent people from swapping songs for | nothing on the internet. | | Mr Dunstone, whose TalkTalk broadband is Britain's third biggest internet | provider, said the demands are unreasonable and unworkable. `----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7329801.stm

Related:

ISPs demand record biz pays up if cut-off P2P users sue

,----[ Quote ]
| ISPs are calling on the record industry to put its money where its mouth is | on illegal file-sharing, by underwriting the cost of lawsuits brought by | people who are wrongly accused of downloading or uploading music. | | [...] | | It's the latest public detail from long-running private negotiations that | have hit mainstream media headlines today. The lobbying campaign to have | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ | government force ISPs to disconnect persistent illegal file-sharers scored a | victory with a leak to The Times. The draft government document says: "We | will move to legislate to require internet service providers to take action | on illegal file-sharing." `----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/12/anti_filesharing_paper_leak/

Illegal downloaders 'face UK ban'

,----[ Quote ]
| The Internet Service Providers Association said data protection laws would | prevent providers from looking at the content of information sent over their | networks. `----

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
| One question, for instance, asks: "How would you promote the progress of | science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding | and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment?" `----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9821141-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Is Sarko Uxorious?

,----[ Quote ]
| What this neglects to take into account is the fact that falling into the | public domain is a gain for the public - and hence the actual moment when it | becomes part of the "national pop heritage" - and that the gain vastly | outweighs any minimal effect it has on ageing rockers' royalties. | Unfortunately, with this action, as with others (including the "three strikes | and you're out" approach to fighting filesharing), Sarkozy shows himself to | be an old man - however young his new wife may be. `----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/is-sarko-uxorious.html

MEPs debate tightening up lobbying rules

,----[ Quote ]
| MEPs on Thursday launched the thorny debate on tightening rules covering the | thousands of EU lobbyists in Brussels, with an initial discussion showing | deputies in favour of defining the term "lobbyist" as broadly as possible but | shying away from the 600-page rulebook that defines and confines lobbyists in | the US. | | [...] | | For his part, Mr Stubb says he is not out to demonise lobbyists, whose | activities have come to light recently during the ferocious lobbying on | legislation that took place during the development of the chemicals, services | and software patent laws. `----

http://euobserver.com/9/25526

Leaked letter warns of open source 'threat to eco-system'

,----[ Quote ]
| leaked letter to the European Commission has revealed the extent of
| lobbying by proprietary software groups to prevent the widespread
| adoption of open-source software.
| | Sent in response to a recent report on the role of open-source | software in the European economy, Microsoft-funded pressure group, the | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ | Initiative for Software Choice (ISC) warned of | potentially dire effects if too much encouragement was given
| to open source software development.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=7109

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5jkZFIwmc-8

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet governments continue to push ahead with this idiot idea -- both Britain
| and Japan for example are considering extending existing terms. Why?
|
| The answer is a kind of corruption of the political process. Or better,
| a "corruption" of the political process. I don't mean corruption in the
| simple sense of bribery. I mean "corruption" in the sense that the
| system is so queered by the influence of money that it can't even get
| an issue as simple and clear as term extension right.
`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800

It just goes to show you, $ (or £) = Might; Might = Right.
Or, put more crassly, he who has the gold makes the rules.
Or, put more depressingly, freedom is something that the
non-rich people imagine that they have — until they piss
off the rich people.

It'll be interesting to see how long Charles Dunstone stands
his ground on this matter.  What is his sell-out point?  How
much money will it take to buy out his stalwart pledge?  How
much legal pressure will he endure?