Re: [News] Friesland (Germany) Moves to FOSS and OpenOffice.org

____/ Matt on Friday 04 April 2008 11:22 : \____

http://www.muenchen.de/cms/prod1/mde/_de/rubriken/Rathaus/40_dir/limux/publ/first_year.pdf
>> We are not alone
>>  Munich doesn ́t work isolated: intensive transfer of know-how with other
>>  agencies, internationale partners and the Open Source Community generates
>>  solutions.

It's not just Germany, either. Same story in Holland where they probably
migrate even more 'aggressively'. Microsoft goes a long way at the moment
(even donating hardware) to slow down the momentum, but the outcome seems
inevitable.

The following was said just a couple of days ago by a firm that is largely
funded by Microsoft:

,----[ Quote ]
| Gartner estimates that the market share for desktop Linux is about 2% in the
| Asia-Pacific region, 4.5% in Eastern Europe, and 4% in the Middle East and
| Africa. By contrast, Linux holds 1.2% of the desktop market in the U.S.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/enterpriseapps/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207001577

The real figures are higher than this and I imagine they only check businesses,
not home. They use Microsoft-supplies figures in many cases.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows: slippery when dry. You have been warned.
 13:20:01 up 16 days, 29 min,  4 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.31, 0.49