[News] 42,000 Post Offices Evaluate Move to GNU/Linux Desktops

OpenReferent - a New Open Source Challenge to Microsoft Desktop Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr Pogodin, Deputy General Director of Post of Russia, said: "Post of Russia,
| which has 42,000 post offices through out the country, can significantly
| lower the cost of ownership of the Information System." Post of Russia is one
| of the first customers that signed up to evaluate themove from Microsoft
| based desktops to OpenReferent solution.
|
| [...]
|
| Open Referent is based on the recently announced IBM Lotus Open Collaboration
| Client Solution with Red Hat.
|
| Business partners classified as Red Hat Advanced Business Partners and
| Lotus-authorized IBM Business Partners may sell the Red Hat and IBM Lotus
| products globally with a Red Hat Enterprise Linux subscription, and may
| additionally offer a six-month Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop trial.

Russian Postal Service Wears Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| Russian Post and American company Red Hat signed the Protocol of intentions
| on IT development based on open freeware earlier this month. Andrey Pogodin,
| Deputy Director General of FSUE Russian Post and Jim Whitehurst, President of
| Red Hat signed the document within the framework of meeting. The parties
| agreed to join efforts to implement operating system Linux and other software
| products with open code in Russian Post’s IT-structure.
`----

http://www.hellmail.co.uk/postalnews/templates/postal_global_news.asp?articleid=402&zoneid=11

IBM to offer Linux machines

,----[ Quote ]
| The machines, it was announced, will come with Red Hat's Linux distro, and
| will come pre-loaded with software from IBM, including its Lotus Symphony
| suite.
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29500/IBM-to-offer-Linux-machines

IBM, allies offer Microsoft-free PCs for E.Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| International Business Machines Corp (IBM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) said
| it was offering the PCs based on the open-source Linux operating system
| together with Red Hat (RHT.N: Quote, Profile, Research) software distributor
| VDEL of Austria and Polish distributor and services firm LX Polska in
| response to demand from Russian IT chiefs.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idINL0486847020080304?rpc=44

Related:

Lotus Notes 8.5 to fully support Ubuntu Linux 7.0 in mid-2008

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=hardware&articleId=9058900&taxonomyId=12&intsrc=kc_top