[News] CIOs Fooled by Microsoft's "No Support" FUD Against Free Software

Govt CIOs still misunderstand open source: Novell

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem with open source software is a lack of understanding, not a lack
| of support, according to a Novell executive who hit back at the CIOs from
| some of Australia's top government agencies.
`----

http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa/Govt-CIOs-still-misunderstand-open-source-Novell/0,339028227,339287869,00.htm

"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to
everything it touches."

                                Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO

Recent:

Ignore the open source hot heads, CIOs told

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of the public responses to the article labelled Gibson a "bureaucratic
| parasite" and his concerns "short-sighted".
|
| While Waugh believes the open source model holds better security outcomes
| than its proprietary equivalent, he equally describes the vitriolic reaction
| to Gibson's comments as being 'disgraceful' and says they achieve nothing for
| the industry.
|
| [...]
|
| "I can tell you that at the very highest levels of government, there is
| interest and opportunities that exist for open source," Waugh said. "This
| doesn't help." Waugh was also disheartened when personal attacks were
| levelled at Standards Australia's Alistair Tegart over Microsoft's push to
| have its OOXML format accepted as an ISO standard.
`----

http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa/Ignore-the-open-source-hot-heads-CIOs-told/0,339028227,339287376,00.htm

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39370693,00.htm

Mommmmy!! The other boys said bad things about me!!

Are you kidding me?
Does Waugh want us to hold his friends hands?

If you cant take critiques, then maybe the internet isnt for you.
And if you are giving up on open source because of a few flames, then you are a
twit. Yes, I did say it and meant it too because no other word describes
better someone who would quit for such reasons. But if someone is LOOKING for
a reason to quit, then I understand how its perfect.

Ever go on the web?
Visit any blogs and forums?
Ever tell rabid Mac fanbois that you think little of their little closed down
toys? Has this affected Apple in any way?
Ever get in between a gaming console wars? Its beyond mindless but hasnt
affected sales for any of the three main companies.
"Nintendo sales dropped dramatically this month due to nasty comments about
Reggie Fils Aime's toupee in internet forums and blogs." will never happen.
(Reggie has nice hair BTW, in case someone gets their knickers in a bunch)
Ever go to some sports sites, blogs,etc?
You think athletes dont get it 1000X worse?

Open-source efforts ARE NOT derailed by loud minorities. That's rubbish. IF
anything they let those who claim to speak for open source that they dont
represent them.

Sure, some people go out of their way to bash but some people also are very
passionate about meaningless things (cough..tech toys...cough).
Im sure youd like to have them all drink tea with their pinkies up but this is
right up there with another mental midget in the US, Tim Couch, who introduced
legislation earlier this month that would outlaw anonymous postings on WWW.
Right up there with Turkey, Pakistan and China.

Do Gnu/Linux and Open Source supporters sometimes raise their voices?
Have you EVER read Linus Torvalds posts?
How about Miguel de Icaza or Theo?
Yup, lots of opinionated people in the VARIOUS communities (to lump Everyone
together is ...ok, you choose the insult instead) and very vocal as well.
Throw in the fact that the majority know very well how Microsoft has acted
towards open source and still does, I can comprehend their anger.

As someone who has been directly affected by Novell's deal with Redmond, I can
sympathize.
When someone threathens you or your livelyhood, you react. And you should.
Dont say anything and it will be ' See, no one complained about it".
Of course, there are different levels to this kind of discourse. As someones
who is at times a 'Non-Compensated Individual Hobbyist Developer', I feel
particular disgust against those people who have made a pact ($$$) which
affect me and if I call those people morons, I am in my right. Just as they
are in their right to do stupid things.

As for Teggart becoming deeply cynical about open source, I feel even more
cynical about his plan to support the abortion that is OOXML just like I feel
cynical about any company using the word open to convey some sort of
relationship with open source. We've seen how Microsoft has stacked the deck
in other countries, so its not a far leap to think that Teggart is in
Redmond's back pocket (or some in his pocket).

My suggestion is why dont you grow a pair, be a man and move on. Maybe call
mommy to console you and tell you that stick and stones can break your
bones...

If that doesnt help, might I recommend staying off the internet.
Because, lets face it, anyone who gets offended at being called 'short-sighted'
is ----------.
Again, fill with your own adjective.
God knows how someone would react to a stronger 'insult' than short-sighted.

Governments slammed for anti-competitive software tendering practices

,----[ Quote ]
| A leading Australian open source advocate has called for an end for to
| tender lock-outs of competitors to Microsoft, claiming the practice
| is costing Australian taxpayers tens of millions of dollars each
| year.

Feds revise IT procurement model

,----[ Quote ]
| The federal government has launched version two of the SourceIT
| model contracts and user notes aimed at simplifying procurement of
| information technology 12 months after the first version.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=805606582&rid=-50

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html