[News] [Rival] Microsoft's OOXML Could Still See ISO Retracted

And now the appeals and reactions while OOXML sits on hold

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that OOXML has been shoved through, (and if you are new to the story,
| here's a very complete and succinct history of what happened by James Hogarth
| on Tideway), we find it cut and bleeding on the other side. What about
| appeals of the travesty? There is an appeal process, although you may have
| noticed that Standards Norge's decision was objected to elsewhere. Perhaps
| folks have gotten the idea that ISO is a bit tilted at the moment.

ISO confirms approval of OOXML, gives two months to appeal

,----[ Quote ]
| If any national standards organizations do make appeals to the Joint
| Technical Committee of ISO  (JTC1) and the International Electrotechnical
| Commission (IEC) that worked on the draft, then Microsoft may have to wait
| several months longer while the appeal is heard, according to Section 11 of
| the ISO/IEC JTC1 Directives.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/040208-iso-confirms-approval-of-ooxml.html?fsrc=netflash-rss

Related:

Norway asks to suspend its 'Yes' vote on OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Some members of the Norwegian committee that participated in the
| International Organization for Standardization's Office Open XML vote are
| calling on Norway's Ministry of Trade and Industry to suspend the
| country's "yes" vote pending an investigation, according to a letter to the
| ISO from the Norwegian committee's chairman.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=124372770&rid=-50

Bill Gates takes the phone to lobby Mexico

,----[ Quote ]
| Rumors are running that he also lobbied Denmark, where it is well known that
| he is a friend of the Prime Minister.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-50275/bill-gates-takes-the-phone-to-lobby-mexico

EU Initiates Investigation Against Microsoft OOXML Push

,----[ Quote ]
| But with Steve Ballmer taking over as CEO, there was supposed to be a kinder,
| gentler Microsoft - one that would play nicely with its competitors.  When
| antitrust regulators in turn challenged this new Microsoft, it issued not
| challenges to fight to the end to prove that it had done nothing illegal, but
| statements promising to "cooperate fully."
|
| But at the same time, Microsoft is still a tough competitor.  As Microsoft's
| Director of Corporate Standards Jason Matusow famously warned at his blog
| last year:
|
|     Make no mistake; all parties are looking at the full picture to find
|     strategies that will result in the outcome they desire. Provided - of
|     course - that they do so within the context of the rules that apply to
|     the process, this is exactly what one should expect to happen. It is
|     going to be a very interesting next few months.
|
| Indeed, the months that followed proved to be interesting indeed.  Microsoft
| said that some of its employees became over zealous, most flagrantly in
| Sweden, where marketing assists were promised to several business partners as
| incentives to join the national standards committee and vote for OOXM.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20080208082501776

EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

,----[ Quote ]
| I hope they think to investigate the smear campaigns that seem to always
| happen to anyone on the other side from Microsoft. What happened to Peter
| Quinn was by no means unique.

Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

,----[ Quote ]
| Is this just a random coincidence? The median of the CPI index of the above
| mentioned 70 countries is 3.95. Of the most corrupted half (CPI index less
| than 3.95) 23 or 77% voted for approval (approval or approval with comments)
| and 7 or 23% for disapproval; 5 abstained. Of the least corrupted half (CPI
| index more than 3.95) 13 or 54% voted for approval and 11 or 46% voted for
| disapproval; 11 abstained - see the table below.
`----

http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html

Microsoft accused of more OOXML standards fiddling

,----[ Quote ]