[News] [Rival] OOXML Corruption: French President Claimed Personally Involved

Sarkozy intervenes in France to revert the OOXML position

,----[ Quote ]
| Confidential sources say that President Sarkozy has intervened himself in the
| French position on Microsoft OOXML, asking members of the committee to revert
| their position, and support an abstention. Our sources say he was approached
| by a lobbyist during his 3-days trip in England. The intervention has been
| made on Friday.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-50670/sarkozy-intervenes-in-france-to-revert-the-ooxml-position

Yep. The guy who lodges in the houses of Microsoft executives. It
has "corruption" written all over it. Then there's Bill Gates phoning the
Mexican president (obviously not to discuss technical details).

OOXML 'Approved' Amid Voting Controversy

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cio-today.com/fullpage/fullpage.xhtml?dest=%2Fnews%2FOOXML--Approved--Amid-Controversy%2Fstory.xhtml%3Fstory_id%3D0010003B3YKK

| [Nicolas] Sarkozy and his family have been vacationing at
| a lakefront estate in Wolfeboro owned by former Microsoft Corp. executive
| Michael Appe.
`----

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20137506/

Fran Nevrkla Identifies a Copyright Gap

,----[ Quote ]
| The support for Commissioner McCreevy came from the French President Nicolas
| Sarkozy. Soon after taking office, he set up a commission, led by the head of
| the major retail chain FNAC, to look into copyright and the creative
| industries. Alongside recommendations on ISP responsibility, the commission
| proposed extending copyright and this will be on the agenda when the French
| Government assumes the Presidency of the European Union in July this year.
`----

http://blog.copyrightalliance.org/blog/Fran-Nevrkla-Identifies-a-Copyright-Gap

Is Sarko Uxorious?

,----[ Quote ]
| What this neglects to take into account is the fact that falling into the
| public domain is a gain for the public - and hence the actual moment when it
| becomes part of the "national pop heritage" - and that the gain vastly
| outweighs any minimal effect it has on ageing rockers' royalties.
| Unfortunately, with this action, as with others (including the "three strikes
| and you're out" approach to fighting filesharing), Sarkozy shows himself to
| be an old man - however young his new wife may be.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/is-sarko-uxorious.html

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5jkZFIwmc-8

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet governments continue to push ahead with this idiot idea -- both Britain
| and Japan for example are considering extending existing terms. Why?
|
| The answer is a kind of corruption of the political process. Or better,
| a "corruption" of the political process. I don't mean corruption in the
| simple sense of bribery. I mean "corruption" in the sense that the
| system is so queered by the influence of money that it can't even get
| an issue as simple and clear as term extension right.
`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
| One question, for instance, asks: "How would you promote the progress of
| science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding
| and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment?"
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9821141-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

France set to experience a revolution in public broadcast television

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/101533/from/rss09