[News] HTML5 Contaminated with Software Patents After MICRO^NOKIA+Apple Ogg Fight

  • Subject: [News] HTML5 Contaminated with Software Patents After MICRO^NOKIA+Apple Ogg Fight
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 03:05:29 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
HTML5 will incorporate high definition extensions

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent problems
|
| Most of the new elements and attributes can be implemented in free Web
| browser software such as the Gecko engine used by Mozilla products and
| derivatives and the open source WebKit. The sole possible exception is the
| authorization scheme incorporated by the copy attribute and the
| video-specific attributes associated with it: ticket and encoding.
|
| Although the HTML5 specification itself does not dictate HDCP content
| protection, it is cited as the example case in the published draft, and any
| site that incorporated HDCP as its authorization method for video content
| would require an HDCP-compliant Web browser in order to view video content -
| whether on the PC or via home theater projector. Since HDCP compliance
| testing requires a per-download license fee, non-profit browser projects are
| unlikely to ever gain the required certification.
|
| [...]
|
| Impact on free software
|
| The patent wrinkle aside, however, there is much in the HD HTML extensions
| that will bring new content to the Web, and can be enjoyed by free and
| proprietary software alike.
|
| Though oft-overlooked when discussed alongside the video content protection
| additions, the combination of the new <resolution> element and floating-point
| values for block level content and CSS elements are a substantial upgrade
| over today's HTML. All high-resolution displays -- including the HDTV formats
| of today and the in-progress formats still years from reaching the market --
| will benefit from the ability to accurately place content on the screen to
| sub-pixel resolution. Sharper fonts, sharper graphics, and sharper
| auto-generated JavaScript content.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/131067

So, the former Microsoft employee, along with the friends at Apple, wanted some
more DRM and patents, not Ogg. Guess who's at top of the W3C? It seems to have
been hijacked too, just like ISO.

Related:

Nokia to W3C: Ogg is proprietary, we need DRM on the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| But remember, that's not what Nokia is objecting to: they are arguing that
| Ogg is proprietary (it isn't) and that DRM should be part of a Web standard
| (it shouldn't).
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/12/09/nokia-to-w3c-ogg-is.html

Microsoft urges Nokia to offer Windows Mobile devices

,----[ Quote ]
| While Nokia phones don’t yet have a Windows OS, they do use a range of other
| Microsoft software. This includes ActiveSynch for connecting to Exchange
| Servers and the PlayReady DRM technology used to protect purchased music and
| video content.
|
| Starkweather said the existing relationship between the two companies was
| strong and he was enthusiastic about it developing further in the future.
|
| “We work closely with Nokia and we would love to have them go all the way,”
| he said. “It’s something we talk about all the time.”
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16510/1055/

Nokia dismisses Google open source Android platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia's CEO Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo dismissed Android saying his company had
| already ventured down that path.  "Conceptually, we [Nokia] could have made
| that announcement a long time ago."
`----

http://axcessnews.com/index.php/articles/show/id/13352

Is Nokia Looking for Revenue in the Wrong Places?

,----[ Quote ]
| He proposed that iPod and iTunes was an exception, and would be eclipsed by a
| Nokia/Microsoft (MSFT) partnership in short order.
|
| [...]
|
| That conversation echoes the one that nearly every music player manufacturer
| on the planet has had to date. And Microsoft's DRM and poor business
| decisions has managed to undermine the business of every single one of them,
| especially now that Microsoft's Zune competes with them and yet isn't
| compatible with Microsoft's own PlaysForSure music software.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/56822-is-nokia-looking-for-revenue-in-the-wrong-places?source=yahoo

Nokia to put Microsoft PlayReady onto S60 & S40 cellphone platforms

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia is to support Microsoft's PlayReady content access technology into the
| Nokia S60 and Series 40 mobile device platforms, starting in 2008.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13884&Itemid=1055

Microsoft: We Like DRM

http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/08/zune-drm-itunes-tech-media-cx_df_0208bach.html?partner=yahootix