[News] Linux Owned by Nobody (Industry Commodity)

The Linux Census: No one entity owns the kernel

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation on Tuesday released a report on Linux kernel development
| that is essentially a census of the open source operation. While much has
| been made about Novell’s doubling of contributions to the Linux kernel, the
| two biggest categories of contributors aren’t sponsored by any one company.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8344

Q: Who Really Creates Linux? A: The Enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| The companies that are building Linux, in order of their contributions to the
| kernel, are:
|
|       1) Red Hat, 11.2 percent
|       2) Novell, 8.9 percent
|       3) IBM, 8.3 percent
|       4) Intel, 4.1 percent
|       5) LF, 3.5 percent
|       6) SGI, 2.0 percent
|       7) MIPS Technology, 1.6 percent
|       8) Oracle, 1.3 percent
|       9) MontaVista, 1.2 percent
|       10) Lintronix, 1.0 percent.

Is Linux Commoditizing the Desktop OS Market?

,----[ Quote ]
| Those forces are as follows:
|
| * low hardware cost of the new ultra-portable computers such as the Asus Eee
| * low memory and storage requirements of many Linux distributions
| * increasing memory & storage requirements of Windows distributions
| * emergence of free web-based productivity applications
`----

http://www.openlogic.com/blogs/2008/03/is-linux-commoditizing-the-operating-system-market/

Related:

Why PCs aren't pricey anymore

,----[ Quote ]
| The PC was always a commodity--only dressed up as something more than that.
| Now there is no returning to the days of Fat City. These days you have no
| excuse for getting ripped off. If you pay too much for a computer, it's your
| own fault.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2010-9584_22-6221875.html

Open Voices – Mark Shuttleworth