[News] CIA Adopts Google, Google Brings Office Suite Closer to GNU/Linux (Offline)

  • Subject: [News] CIA Adopts Google, Google Brings Office Suite Closer to GNU/Linux (Offline)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 05:52:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
CIA enlists Google's help for spy work

,----[ Quote ]
| US intelligence agencies are using Google's technology to help its agents
| share information about their suspects
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article3652494.ece

The headline is ambiguous. It seems like software (Wiki) to a great extent. And
here comes another hit at Microsoft Office:

Google brings offline access to Docs and Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Gears is currently supported in Internet Explorer 6 and above and Firefox 1.5
| and above for Windows XP and Vista, according to Google. Firefox 1.5 and
| above is also supported on Mac OS X 10.2 and above and Linux.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=211699424&rid=-50

Microsoft is likely to hire some more proxies just like it did with the
Burtonsoft Group in order to launch smear campaigns against Google Apps. Links
at the bottom.

Days ago:

Google hopes Apps will help against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| "A lot of the market has been lulled into thinking that Microsoft was the
| only product for most anything," Girouard said. "In reality, I think our
| products make a lot more sense, especially when you're working in a team
| environment."
|
| [...]
|
| Genentech, Cardinal Health and Proctor & Gamble are among the large companies
| testing the service.
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/29/BUNVVK3BR.DTL&type=tech

Microsoft caves, in part, to online computing

,----[ Quote ]
| So it is with great pleasure that the following observation...
|
| "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you
| win," attributed to Mahatma Gandi is also true about high tech vendors and
| how they react to upstart competition.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/realitycheck/archives/2008/03/microsoft_caves.html?source=rss

Related:

Google manager: Google Apps replaced Microsoft Office at 100,000 businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's newly released online productivity suite Google Apps has
| already replaced Microsoft Office at more than 100,000 small to
| medium enterprises and has been deployed at two of the largest
| companies in the world, according to the search leader's
| enterprise product boss.

Dumping Office for Google Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has a friend in Disney, and that could leave Microsoft screaming
| like a jilted lover.
`----

http://videos.webpronews.com/2007/02/07/dumping-office-for-google-apps/

FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo

,----[ Quote ]
| Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
| hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
| deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
| Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
| computers pass their shelf life.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800480

Can Google and Linux Topple Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| The story had a certain flair. In early March, the chief information
| officer of the Federal Aviation Administration, David Bowen, was
| reportedly considering forsaking Microsoft Windows and Office in
| favor of the Linux operating system and the Web-based Google Apps
| Premium office suite.

Microsoft's Last Big Beat: Internet Domination or Death

,----[ Quote ]
| What can $44.6B USD mean? Well, for Microsoft (MSFT) it may mean the cost of
| survival.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/63876-microsoft-s-last-big-beat-internet-domination-or-death?source=yahoo

Apps vs. Office: Google Ups the Ante

,----[ Quote ]
| So apparently do some 100,000 small businesses and organizations that use
| Google's productivity and communications software. Even larger corporations,
| such as General Electric  and Procter & Gamble , are becoming adherents.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jul2007/tc20070716_231231.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

Three Minutes With Google's Apps Manager

,----[ Quote ]
| This move, which puts it in direct competition with software
| heavyweights like Microsoft, builds on Google's first steps as
| an enterprise vendor years ago when it launched its firs
| enterprise search product.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070526/tc_pcworld/132241

Google Apps Catches Flak

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is launching an anti-Google propaganda campaign.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2007/09/11/google-apps-catches-flak/?mod=yahoo_hs

Microsoft Retaliates With 10 Reasons Not To Use Google Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| This, of course, brought Google even closer to rivaling Microsoft's Office
| suite, which has now spurred a reaction from the Redmond software giant.
|
| No, its not new software or updates for the popular productivity suite, but
| rather Microsoft's own reasoning on why businesses should NOT use Google
| Apps.
`----

http://www.profy.com/2007/09/11/microsoft-retaliates-with-10-reasons-not-to-use-google-apps/

Will Google Loosen Microsoft's Grip on Large Enterprise?

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s got to be frustrating to sit in Redmond today and watch the world go by
| without having much of a grip on it anymore.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070910/46884_id.html?.v=1

Out of the office

,----[ Quote ]