[News] GNU/Linux Big in Japan with New Palm-sized Server, Many Contributions

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Big in Japan with New Palm-sized Server, Many Contributions
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 01:41:28 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Japan's Plat'Home launching palm-sized Linux server in U.S.

,----[ Quote ]
| Part of the first ecology-friendly line of Linux servers ever shipped in the
| United States, Plat'Home's OpenBlockS server has been built and tested to
| provide enterprise-grade reliability in its RISC-based hardware, and has
| eliminated moving parts including a hard disk drive and cooling fan. It is
| also RoHS-certified, a European Union directive meaning that it's free of
| lead, mercury, cadmium, hexavalent chromium, and other damaging materials.
`----

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9906136-1.html

Open source: Made in Japan?

,----[ Quote ]
| I talked with Jesse Casman and Craig Oda of PageOne PR upon their return from
| Japan and got a very different picture on the Japanese open-source market.
| There's Takashi Iwai, for example, currently one of the top-10 contributors
| to the Linux kernel. And then there's Yukihiro ("Matz") Matsumoto, the chief
| designer of the Ruby programming language, of course. There's Plat'Home, the
| company that introduced Linux in Japan in 1993 (yes, 1993!), did a successful
| IPO in Japan in 2000, and currently ships microservers based on their own mix
| of Linux and BSD that fit in the palm of your hand. There's Turbolinux and
| Miracle Linux, as well.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9906320-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Related:

Google ties up with Japan's DoCoMo to grow abroad

,----[ Quote ]
| The two firms, which also plan to launch a Linux-based mobile handset in
| Japan, aim to reap joint advertising revenues of 10 billion yen "as soon as
| possible," they said, without disclosing how they plan to split revenues.
`----

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUKT8179720080124

Research and Markets: Symbian and Linux Enjoy the Highest Penetration in the
Japanese Smartphone Market

,----[ Quote ]
| Symbian and Linux enjoy the highest penetration in the Japanese smartphone
| market and appear to be the beneficiaries in any expansion of smartphone use
| there.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080102005331&newsLang=en
http://tinyurl.com/34ns9q

PCs being pushed aside in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| The PC's role in Japanese homes is diminishing, as its once-awesome monopoly
| on processing power is encroached by gadgets such as smart phones that act
| like pocket-size computers, advanced Internet-connected game consoles,
| digital video recorders with terabytes of memory.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071104/ap_on_hi_te/bye_bye_pcs

Will Access become DoCoMo's Linux platform?

,----[ Quote ]
| So will Access become DoCoMo's Linux platform? We believe that although this
| collaboration is in its early stages there is a good chance that DoCoMo will
| adopt ALP because it solves a number of key issues currently burdening DoCoMo
| and its handset suppliers using a vendor that it has had a successful
| relationship with.
`----

http://www.ovum.com/news/euronews.asp?id=6472

NTT DoCoMo ramps up the Linux mobile platform battle

| There are at least three contenders jostling for a share of the growing
| market for Linux-based mobile device platforms. Now giant Japanese cellular
| operator, NTT DoCoMo, is throwing its weight behind a fourth.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15826/127/

Linux phone stack vendor wins big in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| The deal could see the Access Linux Platform (ALP) serving as a common OS
| platform for NEC, Panasonic, and Esteemo phones sold by NTT DoCoMo and other
| mobile carriers.
`----

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS3265888001.html

Japanese Government to Embrace Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle Japan is said to be leading the effort, which could launch
| as early as next month.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070503/34429_id.html?.v=1

Oracle, IBM, NEC to market Linux in Japan: Nikkei

,----[ Quote ]
| Major information technology firms, including Oracle Corp., IBM Corp. and
| NEC Corp., will set up a consortium to sell servers and systems running
| the Linux operating system in Japan, a financial daily said on
| Thursday.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/02/AR2007050202938.html

Schools across Japan may switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Japan's public broadcaster NHK reported late last week that the
| Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry plans to introduce
| the open-source operating system Linux for use within classrooms
| across the country in the near future.
`----

http://gyaku.jp/en/index.php?cmd=contentview&pid=000112

Microsoft foresees more suits in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| A legal battle between Microsoft and Japanese anti-monopoly authorities
| is likely to conclude next year and might lead to lawsuits or other
| patent infringement complaints against the U.S. software company,
| an executive said Thursday.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft has been slapped with hefty fines by European Union regulators,
| who have said Microsoft broke competition laws and abused its dominant
| market position.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070412/ap_on_hi_te/japan_microsoft

OpenLogic Extends Reach in Japan with Ashisuto Strategic Partnership

,----[ Quote ]
| Under the agreement, OpenLogic will provide support to Ashisuto
| customers for hundreds of open source packages.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,112851.shtml

BakBone Leads Linux Data Protection Software Market in Japan for Fifth
Consecutive Year

,----[ Quote ]
| Between 2005 and 2006 BakBone grew its Linux data protection market share
| from 70.6% to 73.2% as outlined in the report "Japan Storage Software
| 2007-2011 Forecast and 2006 Vendor Shares."
|
| [...]
|
| According to IDC data, the Linux data protection software market in Japan is
| driven by BakBone, which continues to maintain high growth at approximately
| 20% per year.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070724/20070724005129.html?.v=1

MySQL K.K. to Strengthen its Presence in the Japanese Database Market

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL K.K., the Japanese arm of the open source database developer MySQL AB,
| has announced three new initiatives aimed at strengthening its expansion in
| the Japanese market.
`----

http://www.mysolutioninfo.com/news-display.aspx?Code=1971&t=MySQL%20K.K
%20to%20Strengthen%20its%20Presence%20in%20the%20Japanese%20Database%20Market

Government of Japan Embraces Open Software Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenDocument Format Alliance (ODF Alliance), the leading organization
| advocating for openness and accessibility to government documents and
| information, today congratulated Japan for adopting a policy under which
| government ministries and agencies will solicit bids from software vendors
| whose products support internationally recognized open standards.
`----

http://www.govtech.com/gt/126612?topic=117674

Linux hot at top Japanese embedded conference

,----[ Quote ]