[News] On Sun and Computing Clouds with MySQL, PostgreSQL Gets Code Donations

Sun obscured by The Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| I wrote previously that "Java-in-the-cloud" will lead us
| to "Platform-as-a-Service" and as I continue to think about it, Sun has more
| of the pieces than any other BigCo--the right of hardware, operating system
| (Solaris) and development environment (Java) than does HP, IBM, or Microsoft.
| And don't forget that they also have MySQL and a huge development community.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13846_1-9922762-62.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NegativeApproach

Truviso Contributes PostgreSQL Enhancements to Open Source Community

,----[ Quote ]
| As part of its commitment to the open source community, Truviso, a leading
| provider of next-generation business intelligence solutions, today announced
| that it has completed an enhancement to the PostgreSQL open source database
| system that further extends its suitability for streaming data analysis.
| Truviso also announced it will contribute this enhancement to the PostgreSQL
| community, reinforcing the company’s foundational tenet of building upon and
| sharing mutually beneficial improvements to open source code with the
| PostgreSQL community.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080418005165&newsLang=en

Recent:

Compiere Delivers Open Source ERP Solution on EnterpriseDB

,----[ Quote ]
| EnterpriseDB, the leading enterprise open source database company, and
| Compiere, Inc., the global leader in open source business solutions,
| announced today that Compiere will offer EnterpriseDB’s Postgres Plus
| Advanced Server as a database option for its open source enterprise resource
| planning (ERP) solution, Compiere.
|
| [...]
|
| Previously, Compiere ran only on Oracle.
`----

http://newark.dbusinessnews.com/shownews.php?newsid=155511&type_news=latest

Report: Open-source databases on the rise

,----[ Quote ]
| This is also why Sun is increasingly playing the leadership role in open
| source. I've opined before that MySQL could become the hub of the open-source
| ecosystem, just as Oracle has built itself into the hub of a significant
| proprietary ecosystem.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9913963-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

IBM's EnterpriseDB stake: not what you think

,----[ Quote ]
| Ergo, this deal is IBM dipping its feet gingerly into a back door challenge
| to Oracle, not MySQL. Ever since IBM held back on its own SQL database
| invention, allowing Oracle to grab leadership of the market, it has always
| responded by making DB2 cheaper. But it still plays second banana. Investing
| a modest chunk in EnterpriseDB is a way of having somebody else test drive a
| new strategy for carving a wedge inside the Oracle market, something that IBM
| has hungered for going back at least 20 years.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/04/07/ibm_enterprisedb_stake/

What MySQL Can Learn from PostgreSQL

,----[ Quote ]
| Changing the model of MySQL must happen for Sun to justify spending the
| money.
`----

http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2008/04/17/what-mysql-can-learn-from-postgresql

Related:

IBM Takes Stake in Open Source Database Vendor

,----[ Quote ]
| For more than a decade, PostgreSQL has been a cornerstone of the open source
| database market. In recent years, EnterpriseDB has emerged as a leading
| vendor supporting and driving PostgreSQL forward.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3736336

IBM buys database software firm Solid Information

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSHEL00607220071221