[News] MySQL CEO Apologises for Sun's Selfishness, More Details Surface

Mickos: Sun may back off - a bit - on plan for MySQL add-ons

,----[ Quote ]
| Caught in a firestorm of criticism in the blogosphere and online forums,
| officials at Sun Microsystems are now saying that some upcoming online backup
| features may not necessarily be made available only to paying users of the
| MySQL open-source database.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=781176607&rid=-50

Will MySQL Keep Lighting up LAMP?

,----[ Quote ]
| The pro-Linux crowd of 200-plus were worried that now, with Sun in charge of
| MySQL, Sun's focus would be on creating a SAMP (Solaris, Apache, MySQL,
| Perl/PHP/Python) software ecosystem instead of supporting the LAMP (Linux,
| Apache, MySQL, Perl/PHP/Python) stack, which has enabled Linux to gain US$21
| billion worth of traction in the server market.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/041708-will-mysql-keep-lighting-up.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Enterprise Unix Roundup: Decoding Sun's OS Plans

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, Sun will make and sell SAMP stacks. (Other possible acronyms: oSAMP,
| SPAM.) There will also be LAMP stacks. If supporting Linux gets to be too
| expensive, maybe Sun will take a page from Oracle's book and just lift Red
| Hat Linux, re-brand it, and support that instead.
|
| Customer demand for Linux is too high for Sun to ignore. Unless it can make
| Solaris more desirable than Linux, Sun will happily keep selling both to all
| comers.
|
| Meanwhile, did anyone notice that the time for the general availability
| release of OpenSolaris 2008.05 (aka Project Indiana) has come and gone? It
| was supposed to come out in March. Well, the staff at Phoronix and offers a
| pretty good breakdown of what these delays will mean to the overall schedule.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3741171

Yesterday:

MySQL reserves features for paying customers; open-source community up in arms

,----[ Quote ]
| Officials at Sun Microsystems Inc., which acquired MySQL in February,
| confirmed that new online backup capabilities now under development will be
| offered only to MySQL Enterprise customers — not to the much larger number of
| users of the free MySQL Community edition.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9078358

MySQL and "commercial extensions:" Core, complements, and semantics

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps it's just a matter of semantics (Marc Fleury certainly believes it
| is), but I think MySQL would have been wiser (at least as an interim step) to
| adopt Red Hat's model rather than don the hairshirt over commercial
| extensions, without clearly defining what this means.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9920944-16.html

Recent:

MySQL chief to users: Don't expect big disruptions post-Sun

,----[ Quote ]
| Are you hoping to try to sell more into what's been Oracle's turf?
|
| Mickos: We always say that we're not trying to eat Oracle's lunch. We're
| trying to eat their dessert.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10787_3-9919582-60.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Sun promises agenda-free MySQL development agenda

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL owners past and present opened the annual user's conference to
| re-assure them Sun Microsystems has no hidden agenda for the open source
| database.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/04/15/sun_mysql_promise_new_database/

Related:

Sun bullied, used threats to gain control of open source project, former owner
says

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/112907-sun-opends.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news