[News] [Rival] Yankee Group Does Microsoft's Dirty Job Again, Gets Busted

Yankee Group pulls 'inaccurate' report

,----[ Quote ]
| Virtualisation vendor VMware objected to a number of inaccuracies in the
| virtualisation report, which seemed to favour its competitor Microsoft. The
| report still being carried on Microsoft's site, although VMware has asked
| Microsoft to remove it from there too - as yet, this requested has not been
| responded to.
|
| VMware said it didn't "send the mob guys" around to Yankee Group and that the
| analyst had removed the report, Virtualisation Price War: VMware's Little Big
| Horn? from its website.
|
| The complaint centres on the comparisons that were used. VMware said the
| report didn't compare "apples with apples" in technology terms, as it lined
| up Microsoft's hosted Virtual Server functionality and pricing with
| VMware's "bare metal" offering, instead of with VMware Server. The report
| also double-counted licencing costs on VMware implementations, and contained
| inaccuracies in its price list by failing to list VMware's bundle options and
| its á la carte pricing compared with those of its rivals, VMware claimed.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=11835

“Analysts sell out - that’s their business model… But they are very concerned
that they never look like they are selling out, so that makes them very
prickly to work with.”

"In the face of strong competition, Evangelism's focus may shift immediately to
the next version of the same technology, however. Indeed, Phase 1 (Evangelism
Starts) for version x+1 may start as soon as this Final Release of version X."

"Working behind the scenes to orchestrate "independent" praise of our
technology, and damnation of the enemy's, is a key evangelism function during
the Slog. "Independent" analyst's report should be issued, praising your
technology and damning the competitors (or ignoring them). "Independent"
consultants should write columns and articles, give conference presentations
and moderate stacked panels, all on our behalf (and setting them up as experts
in the new technology, available for just $200/hour). "Independent" academic
sources should be cultivated and quoted (and research money
granted). "Independent" courseware providers should start profiting from their
early involvement in our technology. Every possible source of leverage should
be sought and turned to our advantage."

                Microsoft, internal document
                http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

Related:

Microsoft pays star writers to recite slogan

,----[ Quote ]
| The stodgy old media industry has a rule that newspaper reporters, and TV
| news hosts, shouldn't trade on their public trust to endorse products.
`----

http://valleywag.com/tech/federated-media/microsoft-pays-star-writers-to-recite-slogan-271485.php

Malik, Arrington and Battelle: X-22, come in [to Microsoft]

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9733995-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

,----[ Quote ]