Re: Roy Schestowitz

____/ psi4000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx on Wednesday 16 April 2008 22:56 : \____

>      Jesus, man. What is your problem? You're either insane or simply
> an idiot. Do you spend every minute of your life posting about Linux?
> You are obsessed.
>      Get a life. Do something. Go outside. Read a book. Take a shower.
> Take a walk if your legs have not atrophied. Are you tubefed while you
> sit at your computer pecking away article after article about Linux?

I don't know if you are one of the regular Munchkins using a different E-mail
address and I don't typically respond to personal (and often libellous)
attacks, but I'll bite.

I don't have a "problem" as you refer to it. "Insane"? Hardly. "Idiot"? That's
up for you to judge. I can't be bothered to look up the exact definition and
roots of the word "idiot".

I don't "spend every minute of [your] my life posting about Linux." I do many
other things and I spend over 10 hours a week at the health club. Just because
I post in a bursty fashion and do so efficiently doesn't mean that it's all I
ever do. Regarding the "posting about Linux" part, I'm rather indifferent when
it comes to Linux as in "The Linux Foundation" (the development workshop for
IBM, H-P, Intel, etc).

Linux is an almost integral part of the stack which many of us, as engineers or
mere computer /users/ who wish not to be zombies like ~40% of the Windows
users out there, use as an enabler, a tool. By offering GNU/Linux to those
whom we care about, we can reduce (cyber)crime and reduce anxiety. A lot of
stress and trouble, some of which people _take for granted_, can be avoided if
people use a solid computing experience and are not be exploited by companies
that bully, bribe and control politicians as a matter of regular agenda.

The Free software movement is closely related to many other aspects in life
such as literature (knowledge). The Web facilitates transparency and allows us
to bring change, essentially ending an era of 'boiler-room societies'.
WikiLeaks is an excellent and admirable example of this. Moreover, Free
software is a tool for freeing society and leveraging things so that we can
arrive at better solutions more quickly rather than set up barriers. Without
Linux, we probably would be using a more modular kernel called HURD, but
that's beside the point. Linux has become synonymous with Free software, so
for what it's worth, it also happens to symbolise some of the GNU philosophy.
The same obstacles set up in 2-3 decades ago (UNIX) are analogous to Web
censorship, political power that is imposed from behind the scenes and
societies that only pretend to be helping the poor and the less developed
nations.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Disclaimer: no SCO code used to generate this post
         run-level 2  2008-04-15 01:48                   last=