[News] Sun Releases MySQL Update, MySQL Gets New Partner

Sun delivers its first MySQL update

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun has delivered a "near final" build of the next version of MySQL and has
| promised to make no changes to the culture of the open-source database
| organisation whose $1bn (£500m) purchase was announced in January.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39386056,00.htm

MySQL upgrade now slated for June, Sun says

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems pushed out a "near final" version of MySQL 5.1 on Tuesday,
| but is holding back the production release of the open-source database until
| it irons out some remaining bugs, officials said Tuesday.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/041508-mysql-upgrade-now-slated-for.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

MySQL to fortify defenses with Citadel

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL is targeting improved security and privacy with a version of its
| database codenamed Citadel due in 2009 that’ll also see MySQL speed up
| product release cycles.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/04/16/mysql_development_roadmap/

Burning the Boats!

,----[ Quote ]
| At the MySQL Conference & Expo this week, Marten Mickos showed a slide in his
| keynote presentation of a recent ceremonial "S-1 burning" that took place on
| the beach in Santa Cruz.  The S-1 is the document filed when a company goes
| public with the SEC.
`----

http://www.theopenforce.com/2008/04/burning-the-boa.html

Freedom's Choice

,----[ Quote ]
| The CIO responded categorically with "we don't run MySQL, we run [name
| withheld to protect the proprietary]." The CISO said, "We can't just let
| developers download software off the net, you know, we've got regulation and
| security to worry about." The CTO smiled. Everyone else appeared to be
| sitting on their hands. I was going to leave it at that. Thanks for the
| business.
|
| Until a (diplomatically) assertive Sun sales rep piped up, "Um... no, I
| connected with a buddy of mine over at MySQL, and had him check - you've
| downloaded MySQL more than 1,300 times in the last twelve months."
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/jonathan/entry/freedom_s_choice

Days ago:

MySQL chief to users: Don't expect big disruptions post-Sun

,----[ Quote ]
| Are you hoping to try to sell more into what's been Oracle's turf?
|
| Mickos: We always say that we're not trying to eat Oracle's lunch. We're
| trying to eat their dessert.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10787_3-9919582-60.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Sun promises agenda-free MySQL development agenda

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/04/15/sun_mysql_promise_new_database/