[News] MySQL Doing Well, Keeps Promise to GNU/Linux

MySQL’s storage engine program picks up steam

,----[ Quote ]
| The solidDB for MySQL database engine for MySQL may have lost its sponsor
| following IBM’s acquisition of Solid Info Tech but events at this week’s
| MySQL Conference and Expo prove the certified engines program is alive and
| well.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/04/15/mysqls-storage-engine-program-picks-up-steam/

MySQL chief to users: Don't expect big disruptions post-Sun

,----[ Quote ]
| Are you hoping to try to sell more into what's been Oracle's turf?
|
| Mickos: We always say that we're not trying to eat Oracle's lunch. We're
| trying to eat their dessert.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10787_3-9919582-60.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Sun promises agenda-free MySQL development agenda

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL owners past and present opened the annual user's conference to
| re-assure them Sun Microsystems has no hidden agenda for the open source
| database.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/04/15/sun_mysql_promise_new_database/

Recent:

MySQL User Conference Registration Up 32%

,----[ Quote ]
| I was interested to note that as of this morning, attendee registration
| numbers for the MySQL User Conference (which O'Reilly co-produces with MySQL)
| are up 32% over the same period last year. This seems to be a good sign that
| the community is energized by MySQL's acquisition by Sun.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2008/03/mysql-user-conference-registration.html

The state of open source: Zack Urlocker, MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| Where do you see open source heading in the next five years, especially with
| regard to development, community, and market opportunities?
|
| I think there's nothing but growth. Open source is an unstoppable force.
| We'll look back in 10 years and consider closed-source software to have been
| a weird anomaly. "You mean you paid millions for software without knowing if
| it would work?"
`----

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;272016099

Related:

MySQL Primes Its Database for More Engines

,----[ Quote ]
| In order to make its open source database compatible with a more
| diverse range of storage engines, MySQL has cut a deal to make the
| sofware available on IBM's System i server line.

Digg Delves Into Special LAMP Server Tools

,----[ Quote ]
| In order to take on so many new users, said Digg engineer Elliot White
| III, IT staffers make frequent use of two features of their LAMP-based
| server cluster: sharding and an open source memory caching software
| called "Memcached."

Second Life Swapping Engines At 40,000 Feet

,----[ Quote ]
| In order increase the capacity of the system from 100,000 concurrent
| users to tens of millions concurrent users, the company is looking
| to increase the number of servers to 10,000 while making sure the
| software remains responsive to all users. Joe Miller, VP of platform
| and technology development for Linden Lab, likens this operation to
| swapping engines at 40,000 feet.
`----

http://linux.about.com/b/a/257654.htm

Linden Lab To Open-Source Second Life Servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Linden Lab plans to open up the source code for Second Life's servers,
| allowing anyone to run their own version of Second Life, a company
| spokesman said today, confirming the widespread belief among many
| in the 3D community that open-sourcing the servers was inevitable.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/04/linden_lab_to_o.html

Inside Second Life's Data Centers

,----[ Quote ]