[News] Long Article on Reasons to Use GNU/Linux

Why Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| I’ve been using Linux on and off for about 7 years. I am not a programmer or
| a hacking enthusiast, and the only reason for which I tried Linux was the
| extraordinary enthusiasm and loyalty of Linux hardcore users. I’ve never seen
| a product that can convert every user into an advocate except Linux, and I
| kept telling myself that it must be so good to deserve such a treatment.
|
| [...]
|
| Windows is world-famous for its irrational system requirement. Windows Vista
| set a new record when it rendered 70% of the world’s existing computers
| obsolete.
`----

http://mssaleh.wordpress.com/2008/04/14/11/

Also new:

Book review: "The Future of the Internet (And How to Stop It)"

,----[ Quote ]
| Even appliances depend on generative systems
|
| [...]
|
| TiVo uses Linux as its operating system, the Xbox runs on general-purpose
| hardware that has been successfully hacked to run Linux, and the
| iPhone--which epitomizes to Zittrain the supreme tethered appliance--has BSD
| inside.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2008/04/book-review-the-future-of-the.html

Recent:

The swiss canton Solothurn is migrating 2000 desktops to Debian GNU / Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The IT adminstration of the swiss canton Solothurn will conclude the 2000
| desktop migration to Debian GNU / Linux by the end of 2008.
`----

http://times.debian.net/1224

Nortel considers Linux desktops for its staff

,----[ Quote ]
| Nortel CIO Steve Bandrowczak, who joined the Canadian telecoms and network
| equipment vendor last July, said "more and more CIOs are looking at Linux
| desktop for reasons of TCO" and argued that the technology "is receiving the
| same level of attention today as when Linux started on servers."
`----

http://www.mbtmag.com/articleXml/LN731846314.html

Related:

FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo

,----[ Quote ]
| Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
| hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
| deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
| Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
| computers pass their shelf life.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800480

Adios Microsoft!

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu imported most of my pictures, music, and documents from Windows.
| There were some oddly named folders it missed. This was not problem as
| I was able to easily retrieve them when the setup was complete. I
| haven't reinstalled everything I normally use but all the major
| applications "just worked" after upgrading. I know this sounds
| like an advertisement for Ubuntu, I guess it is. I'll continue
| using it and report back on my progress.
`----

http://blog.fon.com/en/archive/technology/adios-microsoft.html

Windows Vista, The best thing that ever happened to Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Millions of these units have been ordered by Countries such as
| Nigeria and Libya and pretty soon there will be millions of
| children around the world with Linux as their first operating
| system.
|
| In stark contrast Microsoft have just released Windows Vista,
| probably the most resource hungry Operating System ever, for
| the PC platform.
`----

http://www.otezz.net/windows-vista-the-best-thing-that-ever-happened-to-linux/

Linux gains despite and because of Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the heightened competition over the last two quarters from
| Microsoft-Novell and a move by Oracle to undercut Red Hat on the cost of Red
| Hat Linux support service, Red Hat has reported double-digit growth in
| revenue and an increase in profit.
|
| “The success of Red Hat has been able to validate the future potential for
| open source software,” Szulik says.
|
| Emerging countries are also lucrative markets for Linux, says IDC’s Gillen,
| because there isn’t as much of the legacy Windows technology to have to
| displace.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/072507-linux-microsoft-gains.html?page=3

Open source and Linux looking better every day

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista Home Basic - How do you figure out all these different
| versions available? Thankfully a desktop shortcut to download
| an upgrade - the upgrade treadmill head start program?
|
| [...]
|
| Added openSUSE - dual boot, so I can use both.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/14993

Linux Says Bye-bye Windows XP!

,----[ Quote ]