[News] Review of the New Linux XP 2008

Linux XP 2008: Now with more Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I was surprised at the potential usability of this distribution. It has a lot
| of things included that will make an end-user happy. My only caveats would be
| support, software, price, and root.
|
| I question whether or not a relatively obscure distribution like this would
| get good support from the community or have reasonably sized software
| repositories.
|
| I'm also not too keen on the price, but I suppose the same could be said
| about Xandros. I am very much not impressed with the handling of "run
| everything as root" which circumvents one of the key security features that
| Linux has over Windows.
|
| Despite these concerns, Linux XP does manage to provide a relatively stable
| desktop with lots of features. It just happens to look like Vista now, which
| could be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective.
`----

http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/linuxxp2008.htm

"We should dedicate a cross-group team to come up with ways to leverage Windows
technically more."

                                --Jim Allchin, Microsoft

Days ago:

Can Linux Piggy Back Windows XP To Crack The Consumer Market?

,----[ Quote ]
| While this is probably one of the areas of Linux which has annoyed Microsoft,
| the Linux system allows information to be converted from Microsoft Windows XP
| and used within their own add-on operating system. Even though there are no
| legal issues with these methods (they are used throughout the industry) it
| does show how Linux may well be able to benefit from the association with
| Windows XP in order to increase the profile of Linux XP in the mass market.
`----

http://www.linuxsolutions.fr/can-linux-piggy-back-windows-xp-to-crack-the-consumer-market/

Related:

Release notes for Linux XP Desktop 2006 SR2

,----[ Quote ]
| We started working on Linux XP Desktop several years ago. We first
| developed a simple, friendly OS (from our point of view) for the local
| Russian market. We released our first version in December 2005 and,
| unexpected to us, the product quickly became a best-selling,
| award-winning Linux distribution in Russia.
|
| After our first release we received many requests from USA, Canada and
| around the world for an International version of Linux XP Desktop. All
| these requests showed us that Linux XP Desktop could be not just another
| Linux distribution, but a product that is of great interest for users
| all over the world.
|
| In the Spring of 2006 we release an updated version, Service Release 1,
| of Linux XP Desktop for the Russian market. During this time we
| continued developing the International version. We are now proud to
| offer Linux XP 2006 Service Release 2 to the international market.
`----

http://www.linux-xp.com/whats-cool/lxpd-2006-sr2/

Linux XP: Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux XP does an admirable job of mimicing Windows XP?s behavior,
| so a typical XP user may find switching to LXP very easy. At the
| same time, the more fundamental question I?d ask is, if you are
| switching to Linux, why bother retaining windows XP layout, when
| Linux has better options?
`----

http://www.nsharp.org/01/linux-xp-review/

Linux XP Desktop: A Windows face on an old Linux base

,----[ Quote ]
| Unlike Linspire and Xandros, which are both based on Debian, Linux XP is
| derived from Fedora. It runs an extensively modified version of GNOME to
| create an environment a Windows user should be comfortable with. Its
| manifesto claims that Linux XP is not a "cheap copycat product" but rather
| a mature and stable "ready-to-migrate desktop system." This I had to see.

Linux That Looks Like Windows: Bad!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://wolphination.com/linux/2006/12/31/linux-that-looks-like-windows-bad/