[News] Moodle Already on 40,000 Web Sites, Despite Blackboard/Microsoft Troll

Moodle - the open source software that's getting serious

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the biggest outbreaks of open source software has been in the learning
| business and a clear leader is emerging - software called Moodle, now used
| for on-line learning on 40,000 web sites.
`----

http://www.onrec.com/newsstories/21153.asp

The number of /users/ would be millions.

Blackboard's sofwtare patents are meanwhile being thrown out for being rubbish.

Related:

Taking the Open Road: University Libraries Explore Options

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source learning management system Moodle alone is now used in 56
| percent of universities since its introduction three years ago, and
| the Open University has moved over to it wholesale. Supporters say
| open source LMS tend to be more modular and make it much easier for
| libraries to contribute content than is the case with
| commercial solutions.

Kineo predicts growth in open source e-learning and provides free insights

,----[ Quote ]
| "In the LMS space, we have been hugely impressed with Moodle's offering.
| We embrace the open source spirit in which Moodle has been, and continues
| to be developed. We have provided customised Moodle installations for
| several of our clients, giving it a look and feel bespoke to their
| organisations. We would urge anyone considering a commercial LMS to
| give an open source option such as Moodle serious consideration first."
`----

http://www.clickpress.com/releases/Detailed/22873005cp.shtml

All 44 Blackboard Patent Claims Invalidated by USPTO

,----[ Quote ]
| This decision actually should have come before the trial verdict but was held
| up because the USPTO had to decide what to do about the separate filings from
| D2L and SFLC. Now, in addition to the fact that Blackboard will be able to
| argue against the ruling with the USPTO, there are a number of questions
| regarding how this affects the court case.
`----

http://mfeldstein.com/all-44-blackboard-patent-claims-invalidated-by-uspto/

The Blackboard Patent and Blackboard's Big Idea

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that the Blackboard Patent Court Case has begun, let's recap the main
| issues. Blackboard    sued Desire2Learn for patent infringement. What is the
| patent claim and what is at stake?
`----

http://tatler.typepad.com/nose/2008/02/what-did-blackb.html

Blackboard Inc. Is Awarded Payment From Competitor in Patent Case

| "This is a signal event in educational technology," said Alfred H. Essa,
| associate vice chancellor and deputy chief information officer for Minnesota
| State Colleges and Universities. "It means that the big boys are playing for
| keeps and will use their patent portfolio at any cost to crush and deter new
| entrants. As a community, it will take us a long time to recover from this
| mess."
`----

http://chronicle.com/free/2008/02/1828n.htm

Taurus/Orion/Spangenberg Hold Off Ford in Madison; Blackboard-Desire2Learn
Trial Begins in Lufkin

,----[ Quote ]
| Interestingly, Desire2Learn is blogging about the trial. Desire2Learn has
| already invalidated 35 out of the 44 claims of the '138 patent. I love how
| Desire2Learn refers to the inventors in quotes - "inventors." From
| Desire2Learn's blog, we learn that the Software Freedom Law Center filed an
| ex parte reexamination request, and Desire2Learn filed an inter partes
| reexamination request. Both were granted, and are continuing in parallel to
| the trial. We also learn that Judge Clark did not rule on any pending summary
| judgment motions, and decided to hold them for trial.
`----

http://trolltracker.blogspot.com/2008/02/taurusorionspangenberg-hold-off-ford.html

Blackboard Patent Goes to Trial

,----[ Quote ]
| The Blackboard patent infringement case against Desire2Learn goes to trial on
| February 11, 2008 in Lufkin, Texas.  The trial is expected to last two weeks.
| Both sides will have no more than 18 hours to present their case.
|
| [...]
|
| By all accounts Blackboard's patent is a stupid one and never should have
| been issued by the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
`----

http://tatler.typepad.com/nose/2008/02/blackboard-pate.html

Blackboard Problems Leave Vista on Double-Secret Probation

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]