Re: 6 months ago: Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7

____/ Matt on Saturday 12 April 2008 07:28 : \____

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9043359

>> Microsoft shows off leaner kernel for Windows 7
>> Smaller is better for adding virtualization to the OS, says analyst
>> Gregg Keizer
>> October 19, 2007 (Computerworld) -- Microsoft has 200 programmers working on
>> slimming down the Windows kernel for the next version of the operating
>> system, a company engineer revealed in a presentation last weekend at the
>> University of Illinois.
>>
>> "A lot of people think of Windows as this really large, bloated operating
>> system, and that may be a fair characterization, I have to admit," said Eric
>> Traut, who holds the title of distinguished engineer at Microsoft. "[So] we
>> created what we call MinWin. It's still bigger than I'd like it to be, but
>> we've taken a shot at really stripping out all of the layers above and
>> making sure that we had a clean architectural layer there."
>
>> MinWin is so small that it lacks a graphical subsystem. When Traut booted
>> MinWin, for example, its start-up screen showed the standard Windows flag
>> logo, but the design was built from ASCII characters, a technique discarded
>> decades ago by everyone except spammers.
>>
>> The microkernel will be used only internally and won't, as Traut put it, be
>> "productized." Instead, it will be the basis of all upcoming versions of
>> Windows, including the next-generation edition now saddled with the code
>> name Windows 7. Microsoft has given out almost no information about that
>> operating system other than a delivery timeline that puts its final release
>> in 2010.

It's just vapourware Microsoft has been using to freeze the market for a while.
They also have that chant about a Windows Mobile derivative that acts
similarly but all the good Windows developers appear to have left. Microsoft
just promises heaven and will deliver nothing substantial.

"One person in Helsinki can quickly write the core of a sophisticated operating
system."
                --John Warden, lead attorney Microsoft