Re: [News] [SOT] Courseware Going Open-Source with Backing of 1,000 Professors

> Professors Gone Paperless
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Continuing their campaign to draw attention to the cost of textbooks, the
>| Student Public Interest Research Groups celebrated Tuesday what they?re
>| calling a major milestone ? reaching 1,000 professors who?ve signed a
>| statement supporting the use of free, online and open source textbooks.
> `----
>
> http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2008/04/16/textbooks
>
> The literature/publishing industry is affected just like the proprietary
> software industry and media industry. It will need to adapt to new business
> models.

Textbooks always were hitting a very narrow market.  More online
resources will surely help, although finding ways of getting printing
costs right down will also assist here.  I still find, even after all
these years, that reading anything more than about 10 pages long is far
far easier in book format, and handling a 1,000 page textbook is
definitely easier on paper.  Also, reading paper-based books doesn't use
electricity, either...

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |