[News] Sun Has 'Control Freak' Issue in 'Open Source' Software

OpenOffice.org - a candidate for a 501(c)6?

,----[ Quote ]
| I agree - letting go of control is hard. And I’ve seen many companies
| struggle with it - Xara, Wengo, Sun, to name a few, and other companies skirt
| the issue by unashamedly keeping control - Trolltech, MySQL, Alfresco, JBoss,
| SugarCRM come to mind. It’s a question of expectations. When a company
| says “sure, we’re happy to work with you, on our terms”, you know where you
| stand.
|
| But starting a project on Sourceforge, putting 4 years worth of code on
| there, telling your team of (proprietary) software developers “now you commit
| there”, and then expecting that Poof! like magic little Code Gnomes start
| appearing from out of nowhere to make your project better is unrealistic. It
| really is the difference between “organic” (grown from scratch, by developers
| for developers) and “non-organic” (code is liberated en masse) projects. If
| you have absolutely no governance guidelines whatsoever, who’s the
| maintainer? The manager who manage[ds] the development team in your lab? How
| well does that work?
`----

http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2008/04/29/openofficeorg-a-candidate-for-a-501c6/

Sun is no Red Hat. It still relies on a proprietary software legacy.

Sun sheds light on its open-source future

,----[ Quote ]
| These groups share broadly the same goals for open-source development but
| differ widely in terms of their licensing and delivery models.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39407332,00.htm

Like proprietary addons in MySQL?

Kickfire: MySQL data box for the rest of us

,----[ Quote ]
| Snore. Yet another dime a dozen appliance vendor, which will probably go
| belly up in a year. Who needs an appliance when we have easy enough to
| configure commodity Linux servers we can buy from Dell, IBM and HP, right?
|
| Wrong.
|
| You see, as it turns out, Kickfire invented a unique database acceleration
| technology that is able to parallelize query operations on commodity
| hardware. Much of the database technology employed today is highly
| performance bound by both I/O and register operations, and is driven by the
| limitations of memory and CPU. The more memory and faster I/O (or the more
| spindles on a SAN you have to distribute that I/O) and faster CPU you have,
| the faster the database. But the operations on the CPU registers to fetch all
| the columns on a database during query operations are still a significant
| logjam, classically known as the “Von Neumann Bottleneck“.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8638

Last year:

Sun bullied, used threats to gain control of open source project, former owner
says

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/112907-sun-opends.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news