[News] Microsoft Tries to Exclude Non-Ballnux Linuxes from Virtualisation

"Virtualization Is Now a Key Strategic Theme for Every IT Department," Says
Citrix CTO

,----[ Quote ]
| At the same time, Microsoft with Hyper-V in the OS, and the Linux vendors
| with Xen have the opportunity to leverage the same code base through a
| different delivery model, where the OS virtualizes more instances of that OS,
| or other guests. This model is still in its early stages – the Linux vendors
| don’t virtualize Windows well, and Microsoft Hyper-V doesn’t support Linux
| particularly well.
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/554197_p.htm

Virtualization's dirty little secrets

,----[ Quote ]
| The server virtualization drum beat gets louder with Microsoft poised to
| enter the market, but adoption pitfalls could lead to a bad user experience.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/04/28/18FE-virtualization-gotchas_1.html

Recent:

Hyper-V Leaves Linux Out In The Cold

,----[ Quote ]
| Wednesday, Microsoft said Hyper-V beta for Windows Server 2008 is feature
| complete. Included in the list of operating systems supported are Windows
| Server 2003 SP2, Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1, Windows Vista
| SP1 (x86), and Windows XP SP3 (x86). See John Fontana's article for more
| details about the Hyper-V RC announcement.
|
| Though I'm anxious for Hyper-V to be released, especially the standalone
| version (which is not what this RC announcement was about), I'm very
| disappointed in Hyper-V's lack of support for Linux.
|
| No offense to SUSE Enterprise Server crowd, but only providing SUSE support
| in Hyper-V is a huge mistake. By not supporting Red Hat, Fedora, CentOS, and
| BSD, Microsoft is telling us Hyper-V is a Microsoft only technology. More Mt.
| Redmond, Microsoft center of the universe thinking. That's disappointing.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/26165

Why Novell is happy with Hyper-V

,----[ Quote ]