[News] [Rival] Microsoft is Policing the Internet -- Already

Microsoft Highlights Efforts to Police the Net

,----[ Quote ]
| Smith and others spoke at a three-day conference Microsoft is hosting for law
| enforcement officials at its Redmond, Washington, headquarters, inviting U.S.
| and international police, prosecutors and representatives from agencies like
| the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Microsoft has been hosting the
| conferences, which invite feedback from the law enforcement agents, since
| 2006, Smith said.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/145252/microsoft_highlights_efforts_to_police_the_net.html

It starts with "terrorism" and then they move on, and on...

Recent:

Epic Games Does Suppress Linux Talk [amid Microsoft takeover rumours]

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week we shared the sad reality about Unreal Tournament 3 that it's been
| 5 months and there's still no Linux client. There's not even any sign that
| the game client will still be made available for Linux once their "legal"
| problems are resolved. It was mentioned in the news posting that forum
| moderators for Epic Games, the company behind the Unreal franchise, had been
| deleting posts of users who had inquired about the status of this game for
| Linux. There is now confirmation that they are taking such actions to
| suppress the UT3 Linux talk.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjQ0Mg

Online demonstration against internet censureship

,----[ Quote ]
| Reporters Without Borders is calling for an online demonstration against
| internet censureship tomorrow, Wednesday 12 March, which it calls the
| first "international day for freedom of speech on the internet". Visitors to
| the organization's web site can make a 24-hour virtual protest on the Square
| of Heavenly Peace in Peking against censorship of the World Wide Web. They
| can create their own virtual figure there and take part in one of the nine
| online demonstrations. Flash animated online banners can be obtained and be
| incorporated into their own web sites.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/104866/from/rss09

Related:

Finland censors anti-censorship site

,----[ Quote ]
| Among the estimated 1,700 destinations on the secret block list is
| lapsiporno.info, which has vocally criticized the Finnish censorship program,
| according to Matti Nikki, the site's creator and a long-time activist.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/18/finnish_policy_censor_activist/

Is Microsoft tinkering with Live Search results?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is Microsoft filtering out from its Live Search results those it
| considers “undesirable” for the company?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1127

AT&T admits it censored other bands

| It looks like Pearl Jam isn't the only band that has had its politically
| charged comments bleeped from concerts streamed from AT&T's Blue Room Web
| site.
|
| [...]
|
| AT&T quickly apologized for the incident and blamed the company that handles
| the Webcasting for performances on Blue Room.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9759184-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Thailand shuts down political Web site

,----[ Quote ]
| Thai authorities have shut down a political Web site that spoke out against
| the monarchy, the site's operator said Sunday, in another move to punish
| critics of Thailand's most revered institution.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080106/ap_on_hi_te/thailand_web_site_ban

China cracks down on 'vulgar' video

,----[ Quote ]
| China is launching a nationwide crackdown on sexually suggestive video and
| audio products, in the latest effort by government censors to curb content
| considered to be in bad taste.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080106/ap_on_hi_te/china_video_crackdown

NGO demands details of Saudi blogger's arrest

,----[ Quote ]
| A Saudi human rights group on Saturday demanded the interior ministry explain
| why an Internet blogger who called for political reforms has been imprisoned.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080106/tc_afp/saudimediainternetpolitics

Animal Rights Activists Forced to Hand Over Encryption Keys

,----[ Quote ]
| If you remember, this was sold to the public as essential for fighting
| terrorism. It's already being misused.
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/11/animal_rights_a.html

FBI screwed up, spied on entire email network

,----[ Quote ]
| The FBI on Friday revealed that human error led to surveillance of an entire
| email network back in 2006, rather than the single email address approved by
| the secretive court which approves domestic wiretaps and other forms of
| e-surveillance.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/18/fbi_email_surveillance/

Aussie Net Filtering Plans Challenged

,----[ Quote ]
| However, the filtering plan appears to involve blacklisting millions of
| websites. A web browser hitting a blacklisted site should immediately hit a
| message saying the site is unavailable, as is common in nations that practice
| censorship.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/01/02/aussie-net-filtering-plans-challenged

Saudi Blogger Still In Government Detention

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/01/02/saudi-blogger-still-in-government-detention