[News] What Sun Contributes to FOSS; Georgia Tech Gives to Sakai

Sun: Trying to do the right thing

,----[ Quote ]
| If you look at the major Sun contributions over the years - OpenOffice, Java,
| OpenSolaris, Netbeans, GlassFish, GNOME, and more recently the purchase of
| MySQL, the only one of these projects which has been Sun approaching an
| existing community project and participating in it is GNOME. MySQL is also a
| special case, where Sun acquired GPL software.
|
| [...]
|
| Personally, I’d like to see as much energy going into helping Sun get things
| right as is currently going into knocking every effort they make to do so on
| their own. There are a great many people at Sun who don’t get it, and a great
| many who do. I’d like the latter to win through.
`----

http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2008/04/28/sun-trying-to-do-the-right-thing/

Georgia Tech Contracts with Unicon to Develop CalDAV Support in Sakai

,----[ Quote ]
| It's thrilling to see support for another open standard in Sakai. Even more
| impressive, though, is the leadership that Georgia Tech and Unicon are
| showing in ensuring this project is built to benefit the entire Sakai
| community,” said Michael Korcuska, executive director for the Sakai
| Foundation. “In the long run, I'm sure Georgia Tech will benefit from this
| approach as more community members make contributions to advancing CalDAV
| support in Sakai."
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080428006057&newsLang=en

Peer development. Take and give.

Recent:

Moodle - the open source software that's getting serious

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the biggest outbreaks of open source software has been in the learning
| business and a clear leader is emerging - software called Moodle, now used
| for on-line learning on 40,000 web sites.
`----

http://www.onrec.com/newsstories/21153.asp

Related:

Taking the Open Road: University Libraries Explore Options

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source learning management system Moodle alone is now used in 56
| percent of universities since its introduction three years ago, and
| the Open University has moved over to it wholesale. Supporters say
| open source LMS tend to be more modular and make it much easier for
| libraries to contribute content than is the case with
| commercial solutions.

Kineo predicts growth in open source e-learning and provides free insights

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.clickpress.com/releases/Detailed/22873005cp.shtml