Re: How to stop RIAA?

____/ Homer on Tuesday 29 April 2008 02:54 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Martha Adams spake thusly:
>
>> Most of what passes for "music" these days is much like any other
>> sample of it: why isn't there software out there that will synthesize
>> a perfectly good-enough more of the same and if you have that
>> software you can run up a character table and the software will then
>> produce any amount of this music?
>
> That's already been done. It's called Stock, Aitken & Waterman.
>
> Witness the monotonous; talentless; computer synthesised 80's "hits" of
> SA&W's protégés, Sonya; Rick Astley; Mel and Kim; Jason Donovan; Hazell
> Dean; Bananarama; and Kylie Minogue. It's like listening to the musical
> version of an Eliza-bot. The "girl-band"/"boy band" phenomena that came
> shortly thereafter, seems to have employed the same Eliza-bot for their
> musical "compositions" ... a tradition that continues to this day, I am
> rather sad to say.

There is a growing number of Web sites where artists give their music away in
exchange for the reputation they earn (and can monetise using concerts,
branded clothing, etc.) much in the same way that Free software can be
monetised, having been given away and grown a userbase. Just watch MySQL.

There are many similarities to be drawn here, and this needn't just involve the
music and software industries. It's more about economic models and empowerment
of those that get ripped off, sometimes exploited. The GPL and RMS, for
example, is feared by more than just the software industry. RMS, by his own
confession, looks at things within a broader context.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Every polar bear is left-handed
Tasks: 116 total,   1 running, 115 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie