[News] Debian Project Lists Google-Funded Tasks; Money Doesn't Make FOSS

Debian is participating in the 2008 Google Summer of Code

,----[ Quote ]
| The Debian project is proud to announce that it has again been accepted by
| Google as a mentor organisation for the Summer of Code programme. We have
| been allocated twelve tasks for this year. Google will fund the students
| mentioned here to work full time on those tasks during their summer vacation,
| from May 26th to August 18th. They will be guided and evaluated during this
| time by a team of Debian developers.
`----

http://itsmylife.thehackshop.com/2008/04/27/debian-is-participating-in-the-2008-google-summer-of-code/

The Open Source Model Is About Organization, Not Who Signs Your Paycheck

,----[ Quote ]
| In a traditional software project, there's a project manager who decides what
| features the product will have and allocates employees to work on various
| features. In contrast, there's nobody directing the overall development of
| the Linux kernel. Yes, Linus Torvalds and his lieutenants decide which
| patches will ultimately make it into the kernel, but the Red Hat, IBM, and
| Novell employees who work on the Linux kernel don't take their orders from
| them.
`----

http://www.technologyowl.com/i88997-c134-rss

Debian can celebrate a big recent win in Brazil, with 50 million Brazilian
children expected to use Debian GNU/Linux with KDE.

Recent:

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]
| By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
| fully deployed and in active use.
|
| By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
| serving some 52,000,000 students.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
| for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
| administrations in the world to make the break.
`----

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iU4Lq7tOR_WVOJLZ3IeRaIH03x6w

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Linux kernel developers have tripled in number

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation (LF) has published a study on Linux mainline kernel
| development. According to LF, the number of Linux kernel developers has
| tripled since 2005, with many more companies contributing to the process
| (including, potentially, the latest new LF member, Adobe).

Linux Market to Triple by 2012

,----[ Quote ]
| Analyst firm Research and Markets has just put out a project on Linux-based
| server and client hardware sales, and is projecting that the market will more
| than triple between 2007 and 2012.
|
| A market for a platform is not the same as an ecosystem for it, which is much
| larger in that it includes the cost of people and third-party software and
| services for the code that runs atop the platform. So the R&M Linux market
| numbers might seem a little small. In any event, the consultancy pegged the
| Linux product and services market for Linux running on servers and clients
| (but not embedded systems) at $2.4 billion in 2007.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb031108-story07.html

Linux products and services to touch $7.7 bn by 2012

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ciol.com/Developer/Open-Source/News-Reports/Linux-products-and-services-to-touch-$77-bn-by-2012/5108102625/0/