[News] GNU/Linux the Escape Route from Computing Prison

Freedom, Free Software and Free Society

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, Hollywood and some record companies plan to use “trusted
| computing” for DRM, so that downloaded videos and music can be played only on
| one specified computer.
|
| All these maneuvers are taking away your freedoms. If we don’t watch
| ourselves, our free society will bounce back to the authoritarian
| dictatorship’s times, and your computer will start to obey not you, but
| the “trusted computing” software installed. And the dangers are greater each
| year.
|
| [...]
|
| Today you can avoid being restricted by proprietary software not using it. If
| you run GNU/Linux...
`----

http://blog.0x82.com/2008/4/26/freedom-free-software-and-free-society

Ubuntu Studio - The OS For the Ultimate Open Source Artist?

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are acquainted with installing the packages through Synaptic Package
| Manager of Ubuntu, then you just need to install these packages. On the other
| hand, if you do not want to meddle with the nuances, and would just want it
| all out of the box, Ubuntu Studio seems to be the choice of OS and
| Application suite of which is free - both in terms of freedom and funds.
`----

http://kalaalog.com/2008/04/27/ubuntu-studio-the-os-for-the-ultimate-open-source-artist/

Recent:

NBC to Apple: Build antipiracy into iTunes

,----[ Quote ]
| NBC Universal would like to have its TV shows distributed once again through
| Apple's iTunes service, a top executive said Wednesday, but he called for
| antipiracy measures to help protect his business' revenue.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9920399-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

RIAA boss: Move copyright filtering from ISPs to users’ PCs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080207-riaa-boss-spyware-could-solve-the-encryption-problem.html