[News] UNESCO Gets Free Software Portal

UNESCO Free & Open Source Software Portal

,----[ Quote ]
| The UNESCO Free Software Portal gives access to documents and websites which
| are references for the Free Software/Open Source Technology movement. It is
| also a gateway to resources related to Free Software. With the Free Software
| Portal, UNESCO provides a single interactive access point to pertinent
| information for users who wish to acquire an understanding of the Free
| Software movement, to learn why it is important and to apply the concept.
`----

http://cedict.blogspot.com/2008/04/unesco-free-open-source-software-portal.html

Related;

UNESCO and Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2001, as UNESCO begins to lend its support to the Free Software Movement,
| it is almost 18 years since we launched the movement and began developing the
| GNU operating system. We have come a long way.
`----

http://hrueda-isis.blogspot.com/2007/12/unesco-and-free-software.html

UNESCO promotes use of free software in Latin America and the Caribbean

,----[ Quote ]
| UNESCO Office in Montevideo, Uruguay, in cooperation with the network of
| Free/Libre and Open Source Software (FLOSS) in Latin America and the
| Caribbean, published the Guía práctica sobre software libre: su selección y
| aplicación local en América Latina y el Caribe (Guidelines on free software:
| how to choose it and apply it locally in Latin America and the Caribbean).
`----

http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ev.php-URL_ID=26405&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

The brazilian Election Supreme Court migrates 430 thousand voting machines to
GNU / Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The brazilian Election Supreme Court announced at April 4th 2008, that the
| 2008 elections at Brazil will use GNU / Linux electronic voting machines with
| software digital authentication.
|
| The Tribunal Superior Eleitoral (the brazilian Election Supreme Court),
| officially announced on April 4th, 2008, that the brazilian 2008 elections
| will use 430 thousand electronic voting machines migrated from VirtuOS and
| Windows CE to GNU / Linux and open source softwares for security and auditing
| defined by proper law.
`----

http://techforce.com.br/index.php/news/linux_blog/tse_migrates_to_linux

Linux Voting Machines Save US$ 8 Millions in Brazil

,----[ Quote ]
| Brazilian Goverment will save US$ 8 Millions in election between 2008 and
| 2018. The economy is due to the use of Linux in the eletronic voting
| machines, made by Procomp-Diebold,
`----

http://www.brnews.info/index.php/2008/04/06/linux-voting-machines-save-us-8-milions-in-brazil/

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]
| By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
| fully deployed and in active use.
|
| By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
| serving some 52,000,000 students.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html

Source of the revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Ghosh, the notional value of Europe's investment in
|                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| free/libre or open source software (FLOSS) today is e22bn,
| representing 20.5pc of the region's total software investment.
| Spending on OSS stands at e36bn and accounts for 20pc of software
| expenditure in the US.
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single8105

European spend on open source software hits 22bn Euros

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single7850