[News] [SOT] Murdoch Hires Vandals, According to Testimony

Hacker testifies News Corp unit hired him

,----[ Quote ]
| The trial could result in hundreds of millions of dollars in damage awards.
|
| NDS, which provides security technology to a global satellite network that
| includes satellite TV service DirecTV, denies the claims, saying it was only
| engaged in reverse engineering -- looking at a technology product to
| determine how it works, a standard in the electronics industry.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2334980420080424?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews&rpc=22&sp=true
http://tinyurl.com/4lyhpc

Murdock's shills, along with his vandals, make him seem no better than
Gates/Ballmer, who do the same thing.

Recent:

Times Online denies knowledge of link spam campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| Piotr Wyspianski, a manager at Sitelynx, was revealed on the Waxy.org blog to
| have waged a one-man campaign to game web aggregation communities such as
| Digg, Metafilter and StumbleUpon with over a thousand links to Times Online
| stories. Before working for Sitelynx, he had form for a similar astroturfing
| effort for his own online jewellery store.
|
| Predictably, the Waxy.org story has hit the front page of Digg and some
| Diggers have piled in to condemn Times Online, blaming a conspiracy by the
| original Digger himself. "I haven't respected The Times since Murdoch bought
| it, since that effectively means I can no longer trust its content. Fuck you
| old man!" wrote one.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/31/times_online_link_spam/

Related:

Bribing Bloggers

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the most frustrating thing about the practice of giving
| bloggers free stuff: it pisses in the well, reducing the credibility
| of all blogs. I'm upset that people trust me less because of the
| behavior of other bloggers. Don't even get me started about PayPerPost.
|
| [...]
|
| Do not, under any circumstances, consider upgrading an XP system to
| Vista... even if it's fairly new and even if it's Vista Supremo
| Premium Ultra-Capable.

Bribing Bloggers

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a bribe. Period. You say nice things about us, you get nice
| things from us. Heck, just say neutral things about us-we'll give
| you a killer new laptop and we know that you'll be inclined to say
| better things about us.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2077596,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

EU cracks down on fake blogger astroturfing

,----[ Quote ]
| But back to the web, and with sneaky marketing campaigns likely to be more
| effective than upfront marketing campaigns, what is stopping companies from
| simply risking it and continuing existing practices?
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/03/eu_flogging_ban/

Microsoft pays star writers to recite slogan

,----[ Quote ]
| The stodgy old media industry has a rule that newspaper reporters, and TV
| news hosts, shouldn't trade on their public trust to endorse products.
`----

http://valleywag.com/tech/federated-media/microsoft-pays-star-writers-to-recite-slogan-271485.php

Malik, Arrington and Battelle: X-22, come in [to Microsoft]

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9733995-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20