[News] Pressure Mounting for NVIDIA to Free the Specs with Almost 10,000 Sigs

OpenTheBlob.com Gets 9,000 Signatures

,----[ Quote ]
| When OpenTheBlob.com started in late February, within one week of its launch
| it already had 5,000 signatures and days later it passed the 6,000 and 7,000
| marks too. This letter was an open letter to NVIDIA looking for more
| information on their open-source strategy. While things have slowed down,
| this past week it crossed the point of having 9,000 signatures!
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjQ0Nw

It's bound to happen. They are still wondering what move to make and how.

NVIDIA is used _a lot_ on GNU/Linux, especially in the production and
high-processing industry, even NASA. It's not just home users.

Related:

Confidence In An Open NVIDIA Strategy?

,----[ Quote ]
| While NVIDIA has yet to publicize their intentions nor have we been able to
| get anyone at NVIDIA to confirm any of this information, something does
| definitely appear to be going on within their Santa Clara offices in regards
| to an improved Linux state. A seasoned industry insider had reaffirmed the
| information this week.
|
| [...]
|
| For more on the current state of open-source and binary Linux graphics
| drivers, check out these articles. If you're inclined to do more, you can
| check out OpenTheBlob.com, which has been talked about before for the open
| letter to NVIDIA and most recently has been emailing NVIDIA AIB/OEM partners
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjM5Mw

OpenTheBlob.com - An Open Letter To NVIDIA

,----[ Quote ]
| We the GNU/Linux community and the undersigned, kindly request that you,
| NVIDIA Corporation, increase your efforts in better enabling the open-source
| community to develop free software drivers for your graphics hardware. Your
| major competitors in this market, AMD/ATI and Intel, have not only supported
| the community in open-source driver development efforts but they are now
| openly releasing hardware programming documentation.
`----

http://www.opentheblob.com/nvidia/index.php?signatures=normal

NVIDIA Workstation Performance: Windows vs. Linux vs. Solaris

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 8.04 Alpha 5 with the 169.12 driver had overall produced the fastest
| results within SPECViewPerf. In only three benchmarks had Solaris Express
| Developer 1/08 outpaced Ubuntu Linux, but with two of these tests the results
| were almost identical. These three tests were Maya (maya-02), UGS NX
| (ugnx-01), and UGS Teamcenter Visualization Mockup (tcvis-01). In the rest of
| the OpenGL tests, Solaris Express and Windows Vista were fighting for second
| place. In six out of the nine tests, Windows Vista was in last place. For
| those interested in NVIDIA's Quadro series for CUDA (Compute Unified Device
| Architecture; NVIDIA's GPGPU implementation), this technology is supported in
| NVIDIA's binary Linux driver.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_workstation_perf&num=1

Hollywood, Linux, and CinePaint at FOSDEM 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| At first, studios had no choice but to develop Linux applications in house.
| The film industry has millions of lines of Linux code, both desktop
| applications and server pipelines. Studio Linux programmers write code in
| C++, Python, Perl, and Java. What does all this secret proprietary Linux code
| do? And, why do they do parallel programming with grid computing? How does
| the film industry use renderfarms with thousands of CPUs?
`----

http://linuxgazette.net/147/rowe.html

DreamWorks wins an award for its innovative use of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Behind that effort sits Ed Leonard, chief technology officer at DreamWorks,
| who has been recognized for his work with an Annie Award for "promoting the
| Linux open system for animation in animation studios and gaming software
| development."
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9865829-16.html

Linux Goes Hollywood With New Terra Soft Film Rendering Tool

,----[ Quote ]
| Y-Film is a product formed from two separate applications. The first is a
| cluster construction suite supported by Terra Soft's Y-HPC platform. The
| second is the Artist Productivity and Asset Management Tools developed by
| Scott Frankel, president and VFX supervisor at Circle-S Studios and the lead
| developer of Y-Film. The tool set runs on x86 Linux, Power Linux and Mac OS
| X.

Linux in Hollywood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=636VZ_R-NVs

Studios Using Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linuxmovies.org/studios.html

,----[ Quote ]
| "Linux is the default operating [system] on desktops and servers at major
| animation and visual effects studios, with maybe 98 percent [or more]
| penetration," CinePaint Project Manager Robin Rowe told LinuxInsider.
`----

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/57300.html

PhysX For CUDA, Linux Support A Given?

,----[ Quote ]
| CUDA has been supported under Linux from the start with their graphics driver
| now bundling the CUDA driver and version 1.1 of the CUDA Toolkit being
| supported under Fedora 7, RHEL 3/4/5, SLED 10, OpenSuSE 10, and Ubuntu 7.04
| (binary downloads).
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjMzNA

Is NVIDIA Buying AGEIA Good For Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Though with this afternoon's announcement of NVIDIA acquiring AGEIA, we
| wonder how this could impact the level of PhysX support for Linux. As NVIDIA
| actively supports a binary driver for their GeForce and Quadro products, we'd
| hope that once these GeForce+PhysX graphics cards are introduced we will find
| support within the NVIDIA Linux driver. We also hope the future bundling of
| PhysX IP into NVIDIA's GPUs won't hamper their rumored open-source strategy.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjMxOA

NVIDIA Plotting Open-Source Strategy?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to an AIB partner, NVIDIA is planning an open-source counterattack
| against ATI/AMD.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjI3NQ

Interview: The driver behind NASA's Mars Rovers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;563338166;pp;1