[News] Interview with Debian's Leader, Ubuntu Art Team

Interview: Steve McIntyre, Debian Project Leader

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve McIntyre is the recently elected Debian Prioject Leader. He is a
| software engineer and a long-time Debian developer. His best known
| contributions have been in the field of creating Debian CD/DVD images; he is
| the Debian-cd team leader and is responsible for generating the official
| images.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?RSS&entryid=741

With 52,000,000 Debian users in Brazil and more in Kerala, Munich as well as
many other places there might soon be more Debian users than Ubuntu users. The
Debian developers were thrilled about it. Nevertheless, Ubuntu gets the buzz:

Interview: Kenneth Wimer of the Ubuntu Art Team

,----[ Quote ]
| The style of Ubuntu releases has varied throughout the releases, with some
| differing radically from others and the rest continuing to build the style.
| But where do all of the art and style ideas come from? We talked with Kenneth
| Wimer of the Ubuntu Art Team to find out.
`----

http://fosswire.com/2008/04/25/interview-wiemer-ubuntu-art/

Recent:

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]
| By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
| fully deployed and in active use.
|
| By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
| serving some 52,000,000 students.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html

The Heron takes flight

,----[ Quote ]
| We all owe a great deal to the team who make Debian’s “unstable” repository
| possible, and of course to the upstream projects from GNOME and KDE through
| to the Linux kernel. We hope you will be proud of the condition in which we
| have carried your excellent work through to the users of Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/147

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
| for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
| administrations in the world to make the break.
`----

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iU4Lq7tOR_WVOJLZ3IeRaIH03x6w

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Linux kernel developers have tripled in number

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation (LF) has published a study on Linux mainline kernel
| development. According to LF, the number of Linux kernel developers has
| tripled since 2005, with many more companies contributing to the process
| (including, potentially, the latest new LF member, Adobe).

Linux Market to Triple by 2012

,----[ Quote ]
| Analyst firm Research and Markets has just put out a project on Linux-based
| server and client hardware sales, and is projecting that the market will more
| than triple between 2007 and 2012.
|
| A market for a platform is not the same as an ecosystem for it, which is much
| larger in that it includes the cost of people and third-party software and
| services for the code that runs atop the platform. So the R&M Linux market
| numbers might seem a little small. In any event, the consultancy pegged the
| Linux product and services market for Linux running on servers and clients
| (but not embedded systems) at $2.4 billion in 2007.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb031108-story07.html

Linux products and services to touch $7.7 bn by 2012

,----[ Quote ]
| The market for Linux products and services will grow from $2.4 bn in 2007 to
| $7.7 bn in 2012.
`----

http://www.ciol.com/Developer/Open-Source/News-Reports/Linux-products-and-services-to-touch-$77-bn-by-2012/5108102625/0/

Related:

2010: Russia's open software market to grow 4-fold

,----[ Quote ]
| Analysts note that Linux vendors are traditionally present on the mobile
| device market. According to forecasts the OS might become the leader in
| the segment accounting for 40% of it by 2010. ?Currently the share of
| mobile devices with Linux OS is not big in Russia as compared to other
| countries, such as China, for instance. However, the producer's policy,
| Nokia in particular testifies to the fact the situation is changing
| for the better", Ms. Karaeva concluded.
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/05/15/249978

Open source to hit $22 billion by 2010. What this means for Red Hat and Novell

,----[ Quote ]
| Interestingly, this number jumps to $41 billion if you add in the $19 billion
| that enterprises will invest in internal open-source development instead of
| wasting it on proprietary software licenses, according to Morgan Stanley...
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9806036-16.html?tag=cnetfd.blogs.item

European spend on open source software hits 22bn Euros

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single7850