Re: [News] Demotion of the Large-sized PC, Linux in the Living Room

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 25 April 2008 15:00 : \____

>> Thin-Clients Revisited
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The death of the PC is predicted once again. Of course I will be wrong like
>>| all the others before me. Personal Computing is so seductive that it will
>>| morph into ultra-cheap low-powered devices that hybridise the web
>>| thin-client with the personal device. Even Dell are aiming to release a sub
>>| $100 Linux (Ubuntu?) notebook. What I can say, however, is that the day of
>>| the big beige/black box is stone dead maybe it will take a major operating
>>| system vendor with it.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.siriusit.co.uk/myblog/thin-clients-revisited.html
>>

> I agree entirely... the desktop is very very dead, long live the
> appliance and the mobile device.

These are still related. The problem here is Vista, not Windows, but Microsoft
phases out the legacy, which is foolish.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Code built upon another's is less prone to bugs
Swap:  1510068k total,   712284k used,   797784k free,    60364k cached