Re: [News] Dell Offers XP (Until June) Because People Refuse to Buy Vista PCs

> Dell offers Windows XP to save folk from Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| YOU SELL COMPUTERS, but you can't flog them with Vista on.
>|
>| On the other hand, start flogging Windows-free PCs and an army of soft-footed
>| voles will beat a path to your door and nibble at your margins. HWat to do?
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/14/dell-offers-windows-xp

I've just traded my Landrover Discovery TDi300, and of course, some
cash,  for a Defender 110 TD5.  Chatting with the mechanic chap, he
showed me the Dell PC he's just been trying to back-up after it failed
yesterday during a rather nasty lightning storm.  He's managed to
recover most data, but now needs a new machine.  So he called Dell,
/but/, getting hold of a Windows XP machine with a parallel port so that
he can connect the Landrover dongle to use their parts system -
something essential to his business, means that he needs a top-end
machine, which he was told were Vista.  He doesn't want Vista, because
the Landrover software won't run on it.

So, I gave him the top news that he needed to solve this quickly since
Microsoft were EOLing XP in June.  He said he'd be happy to consider
Linux, but he needs the landrover software...

Still, my new(er) Defender is excellent, but I've asked him to look
around for an overdrive for it, as a 6th gear would be most useful.
Funnily, GKN have, apparently, just stopped manufacturing the overdrive
for the Defender 110 last model, but he thinks he might be able to find
one somewhere...

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |