[News] [Rival] Microsoft Thinks Spendings and Greed Save the Planet

Microsoft: Save the Planet, Use More Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday Microsoft greeted Earth Day by launching its own corporate
| environmental website.

Another rubbish claim which they try to spread is that Vista is good for the
environment. Yes, with PCs in the dustbin and new monster PCs that are
powering GPU all the time are good, according to Microsoft.

Recent:

Microsoft nears bottom of Greenpeace league table

,----[ Quote ]
| Environmental campaign organisation Greenpeace has published its latest study
| of the green credentials of electronics manufacturers, including makers of
| PCs and mobile phones, as well as Microsoft, which came near the bottom of
| Greenpeace's latest Guide to Greener Electronics.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39369882,00.htm

Scolded, Microsoft Takes Blame For Swarms of Butterfly Decals

,----[ Quote ]
| The corporation accepted the blame yesterday for hundreds of plastic
| butterfly decals that were affixed across the face of Midtown Manhattan as
| part of a $300 million promotional campaign for its new MSN 8 Internet
| service.
`----

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9802E6DD1E3CF935A15753C1A9649C8B63&scp=2&sq=dunlap+microsoft&st=nyt

Related:

The Buzz Word Today Is Green

,----[ Quote ]
| With the global crusaders on the march, with every politician spewing
| factoids about his or her campaign saving the Earth with new environmental
| measures, with hybrid cars being constructed in droves, with new energy
| saving light bulbs all the rage, isn't it time to look at the greener
| alternative in the PC World? I'm talking about the Linux computer, and it's
| becoming clear that it's the green monster.
`----

http://linuxhow2.com/Feature_Articles/The_Buzz_Word_Today_Is_Green.html

U.S. to require agencies to buy 'green' PCs, monitors

,----[ Quote ]
| Because the government is such a large user, PC vendors will be hustling to
| comply with the new federal rule, McCarthy said.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=servers_and_data_center&articleId=9055558&taxonomyId=154&intsrc=kc_top

True or False: E-Waste

,----[ Quote ]
| True or False: Switching from a Windows-operated computer to a Linux-operated
| one could slash computer-generated e-waste levels by 50%.
|
| The answer is: TRUE
`----

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/03/eco.myth.ewaste/

Vista stumbles through first birthday

,----[ Quote ]
| Performance has also been a factor, with Vista branded by some industry
| researchers as the most processor-hungry operating system to ever come out of
| Redmond — something that jars with the current industry drive towards energy
| efficiency and green IT.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Vista-stumbles-through-first-birthday-/0,130061733,339284236,00.htm

Open Source Software, OLPC, and the Importance of Being Green

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm referring to the need for the OLPC XO laptop to be extremely efficient in
| its power consumption. The OLPC laptop is designed to be used in places where
| there is no reliable power grid, or, in many cases, no power grid at all.
| This has challenged the OLPC Project is be very creative in how power is
| generated, stored and conserved.
`----

http://jmbuser.livejournal.com/6764.html

Linux, Windows duke it out over energy efficiency

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux appears to have an advantage at the moment: Companies are becoming
| increasingly open to adopting the platform both in the server room and on the
| desktop. Big-name vendors like IBM, HP, and Novell are giving the penguin a
| push in the datacenter, framing it as a flexible and energy-efficient
| platform. The fact that Linux offers greater virtualization opportunities
| than Windows (a sentiment recently expressed by the VMWare CTO Mendel
| Rosenblum) only strengthens the platform's green standing.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/sustainableit/archives/2007/08/linux_and_windo.html?source=rss

GNU/Linux is the most power-efficient OS on Intel hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a keynote given at OSCON, Intel's PowerTOP application has
| allowed developers to get a close-up view of what is sucking power in a
| GNU/Linux system. Apparently they've gotten so much feedback and patches that
| they've been able to extend battery life by an hour since the first release,
| making GNU/Linux the best OS for power saving.
`----

http://digg.com/linux_unix/GNU_Linux_is_the_most_power_efficient_OS_on_Intel_hardware

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
| Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
| Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
| up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3

UK Greens connect to free software

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, he concludes that "awareness within the party is definitely
| building. I've even had people email me asking how to start
| migrating to Linux."
|
| Outside the party, Chance mentions that he is "constantly
| surprised by how many people outside the IT world have heard
| of Linux, and understand that Firefox is more than
| just another browser."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/117245

Member of Parliament Patrick Harvie Talks to KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| In answering a question about how we can use the political process more he
| describes how Microsoft had a government conference in the Scottish
| Parliament on the day of Windows Vista's launch. There Bill Gates could tell
| governments that Windows is the norm. He tried to organise a counter
| conference on the same day but there was no room. However such an event could
| be organised in parliament and he says MSPs and civil servants would turn up.
|
| Asked about use in education he said it was utterly wrong to teach children
| there is only one product in the market. However schools are very reluctant
| to even give use of a different browser. In education he thinks school
| children should have at least one experience of collaborating on free
| software.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1184072113/

Vista gets slated - by the Greens

,----[ Quote ]
| The Green Party has slammed Microsoft and it's forthcoming operating
| system, Windows Vista, in a withering attack on the company's "monopoly".
|
| Microsoft not only takes criticism for allegedly environmentally
| unfriendly policies, but for attacking civil liberties.
|
| The party claims that "Vista gives Microsoft the ability to lock
| you out of your computer," and that "Microsoft are determined not
| to play fair" in the video content market.
`----

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/news.php?id=107813

Green Party slams Microsoft OLPC involvement

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/vnunet/news/2170267/update-green-party-labels