[News] Universities Turn to Free Open Source Software; Funding Soars

Kuali develops open source financial and ERP applications for universities

,----[ Quote ]
| "Going back 25 years or more, each of us built our own [enterprise systems],"
| Foutty says. "[Universities] duplicated effort like crazy. Then about 10 to
| 12 years ago there was a real shift in direction and we started buying
| systems from Oracle, Datatel, Banner, etc. We realized that was extremely
| costly, but back then the open source community wasn't robust enough. Now,
| open source has really evolved to the level where we say, we could do this
| for our enterprise systems. There's no reason anymore why we can't run this
| in a community source environment. It's time."

VCs Pour On Investments For Open-Source Leaders

,----[ Quote ]
| The 451 Group says open-source VC investments totaled $204 million in the
| first quarter, more than double the year-earlier figure and above the
| previous record haul of $194 million, set in the fourth quarter of 2006.
| But companies getting first-round or initial funding garnered a mere $9
| million, less than 5% of the total and a record low, says the research firm.

Sun: Economic slowdown favors open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking to ZDNetAsia in an exclusive interview, he said the economic
| slowdown in the United States will favor open source companies. "During an
| economic slowdown, not everything slows down [and] IT projects will continue
| to be undertaken. But IT budgets will be reduced," he said, noting that
| companies will then turn to lower cost software options such as open source.

VC funding for open source hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Incidentally, total funding to date stands at $2.64bn.

Open-source venture investing hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Just when you thought venture interest in open source was quieting down,
| along comes the biggest quarter in open source's (still young) history:
| $203.75 million raised, as reported by The 451 Group. This trumped the
| previous record of $193.6 million from Q4 2006.

Economic downturn = Financial upturn for GroundWork and open source

,----[ Quote ]