Re: [BIG News] Over 50,000,000 New GNU/Linux Users in Brazil!!!

> Deploying KDE to 52 million young people
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
>| fully deployed and in active use.
>|
>| By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
>| serving some 52,000,000 students.
> `----
>
> http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html
>
> It's a good time for Linux...
>
> Trolls needn't respond. End of thread. ;-)

A commenter has a sour claim, though:

   Daengbo said...

       I was in Thailand when they made a similar announcement several
       years ago, though it was only around 1M. MS came in, made some
       back-room deals involving threats of BSA-style audits of the
       government (Thailand's piracy rate was huge), and the whole
       year-long movement toward FOSS was derailed in a week.

And a followup:

   piacentini said...

       To Daengbo: Notice that, of course, states and municipalities are
       free to change the software installed on these machines, even
       switching to Windows if they want to. But in this case, they
       loose support. There will always be some conversion rate, but
       this is the other side of the coin on a democratic government.
       Someone told me that a few years ago, in the initial labs
       equipped with Linux in Brazil, there was a 35% conversion rate to
       Windows. Now in the installations for the previous version of
       Linux Educacional this number is smaller than 10%, and there is
       the start of a reverse trend as well, as teachers get used to
       desktop with the help of KDE and the usability research.

--
About 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but people don't pay
for the software. Someday they will, though. As long as they are going to