[News] Linux-based Eee Coverage in the Daily Telegraph

ASUS Eee PC-4: Little computers, next BIG thing

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus's original Eee PC launched the trend: based on the Linux operating
| system because it was cheaper and less technology-hungry than Windows, it had
| a 7in screen, Wi-Fi internet access, a webcam and an Office-style suite of
| applications. And it cost £200.
|
| It was a sell-out, and even now remains out of stock at most retailers. Some
| commentators criticised it as plasticky, but most realised this was the very
| best of the bargain basement: simple, rugged - and not wallet-busting if you
| did do a little damage.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2008/04/24/dlasus124.xml

Recent:

eeePC Video With Compiz-Fusion

,----[ Quote ]
| Last time when I left you I still had to figure out how to get my video
| working on the eeePC when with either the Metisse or Compiz-Fusion activated
| in the Mandriva 2008.1 operating system.  I am glad to say that after a bid
| of searching I figure it out thanks to the Compiz-Fusion forum and google.  I
| should really say that I got it working with Compiz-Fusion not Metisse yet.
| After using it for a little while I turned of the 3D effects because it was
| slowing down the eeePC.  I’ll only use it to impress friends, family and
| people that I`ll try to convert to GNU/Linux from Windows.
|
| I’ll never go back to Windows in its present form.  Next Month will mark two
| full years with a GNU/Linux operating system as my personal choice.
`----

http://adventuresincomputing.wordpress.com/2008/04/20/eeepc-video-with-compiz-fusion/

Related:

2007's most important IT lesson is spelled with an Eee

,----[ Qote ]
| The Eee shows too just how out of date the 'is Linux ready for the desktop?'
| argument is. Yes it is. Anyone can pick up an Eee with its standard Linux
| distro - or with a number of freely available alternatives - and just use it.
| That alone revitalises the 'is this paid-for operating system value for
| money?' question.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10006830o-2000331777b,00.htm?new_comment

Microsoft can't even give it away

,----[ Quote ]
| To sweeten the pill, there is also a considerable price incentive in buying a
| basic portable with GNU/Linux installed as opposed to one with Windows XP,
| which not only costs about 30 per cent more, but also has the nerve to
| require more storage space and memory.
| Firefox.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/11/microsoft-give-away

The Asus Eee PC (Part Three): The Alternative Distros

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/asus_eee_pc_part_three_alternative_distros