[News] New Reviews Show Linux Working with Software and Peripherals Nicely

A Linux Server in the Palm of Your Hand

,----[ Quote ]
| The setup involved the palm-sized server, the AC power cord, a short network
| connector and several installation CDs. Connection to a Linux desktop was
| relatively painless.

Bacula: backups that don't suck

,----[ Quote ]
| For this review we tested Bacula on a single CentOS 4 server using the file
| system as our backup medium. In our production environment we use Bacula to
| manage more than 500GB of backups from multiple clients using a tape robot.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/132562

Tasks of that scale would be poorly handled by DRM- and spyware-infected O/S
kernels like the one in Windows Server 2008 and Vista (same codebase, same
kernel, same disaster).

Yesterday:

Microsoft warns of web server flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| The company has issued an advisory on the vulnerability, which affects
| Windows XP Professional SP2, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista and Windows
| Server 2008.
|
| [...]
|
| "The web server is widely used on the internet, and is a top pick by
| web-hosting providers. We might see web-hosting providers targeted, and their
| clients' websites breached."
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2214722/microsoft-warns-web-server

R1Soft Introduces First Windows Server Bare-Metal Restore Using Linux Live CD

,----[ Quote ]
| ...R1Soft provides its customers a bootable Linux Live CD ISO image
| compatible with most popular Windows Server storage and network devices.
| Administrators can initiate a restore by simply inserting the CD, powering
| on, and then selecting a point-in-time virtual full backup to restore from in
| the R1Soft CDP Server web interface.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080422006858&newsLang=en

Last week: