Re: [News] ISO in Hot Water Again After Aggravating FAQ About MS OOXML

> ISO Ill at Ease Over OOXML
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| This is amazing: since when did proprietary lock-in represent ?additional
>| functionality?? That's a bit like saying handcuffs offer ?additional
>| functionality? to boring old handcuff-less freedom. Proprietary lock-in -
>| even when dignified with the euphemistic moniker of "legacy documents" - is
>| what open standards are supposed to avoid; touting it as an ?extra? is a
>| simple betrayal of the fundamental underlying idea.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| In other words, ISO's FAQ, designed to quell the storm, ends up confirming
>| many of the very issues its critics have raised, and feeding it. Well, I
>| suppose that's a kind of progress.
> `----
>
> http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=712&blogid=14
>
> ISO is the next ECMA, fighting for one company against many governments,
> universities, companies. Truly amazing this degree of corruption in the
> system!

"Our value add" == "how we will lock you in"
"Innovating above the standard" == "how we will lock you in"
"Additional functionality" == "how we will lock you in"
"Embrace and extend" == "how we will lock you in"
"Extra features" == "how we will lock you in"
"Unique capabilities" == "how we will lock you in"

This is one area where vendors have a long history of forcing ambiguity
into standards in order to ensure that interoperability is limited, then
using same ambiguity to ensure an economic exit barrier so high that
customers have no room to manoeuvre at all.

That ISO would be so willing to not only cooperate openly with such
activity, but then attempt to excuse it as anything *but* lock-in shows
just how much ISO has chosen to represent the interests of one US company,
and at the same time, ignore the interests of the people and organisations
it is supposed (or at least, was supposed) to represent.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |