Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

____/ Rick on Tuesday 22 April 2008 01:21 : \____

> 'But there are differences. Users who purchase an Eee PC 900 with Linux
> will receive a laptop that boasts 20GB of flash memory-based storage
> space. However, customers who opt for Windows XP will end up with a
> machine equipped with only 12GB of solid-state storage.
>
> "Cost would be one of the reasons, but not the main one," Ho said in an e-
> mail. He then proceeded to trumpet the Linux-based system.'
>

> Interesting. I guess the cost of the XP license, and the lack of pre-
> installed crudware have taken a toll on the machine's cost.

Linux comes with more applications as well. XP in this form is quite the dud
and Microsoft gave considerable discounts to Asustek, which brings to mind the
following:

Microsoft's SEC:

,----[ Quote ]
| A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating system...
| To the extent open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales
| of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for
| our products, and revenue and operating margins may consequently decline.
`----

http://www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: most popular O/S, yet not most widespread