[News] Making GNU/Linux Expand in Desktops, Without Big Corporations

Linux Users Will Rescue the Desktop...Geek Please.

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Users will rescue the Desktop. We don't need corporate help.
|
| Let me take this ice cold bucket of water and welcome those who believe this
| to the real world. Take a deep breath, because I'm about to splash you
| abruptly back into the cold, harsh light of reality.
`----

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/04/linux-users-will-rescue-desktopgeek.html

Ask RedMonk: Open Source Indemnification - the Q&A

,----[ Quote ]
| While it remains possible - at least as long as Ballmer is at the helm - that
| Microsoft could pursue litigation against customers, I think highly unlikely.
|
| For a brand that relies highly on rank and file recognition and adoption,
| pursuing an RIAA-style course of action that includes legal action against
| its direct customers would be the worst kind of brand suicide. So while
| Ballmer might hint at such actions in attempt to disincent usage and adoption
| of the technologies, it’s unlikely that it would go further than that. If not
| because of the PR implications, then because of the mutually assured
| destruction scenarios that would likely result in retaliatory lawsuits from
| competitive vendors with patent portfolios of their own.
`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2008/04/18/ask-redmonk-open-source-indemnification-the-qa/

Yesterday:

The Biggest Blunder: Or why Red Hat and Novell just left the door wide open to
Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]