[News] Music Player Tax Proof of Dying Business Models, Abuse

UK music industry pines for the good old days, seeks an iPod tax

,----[ Quote ]
| But that's different from what the UK's music industry is demanding. I
| happily pay Apple every time I download a song from iTunes. EMI and crew get
| a piece of that $.99 fee to cover their costs of discovering and marketing
| artists.
|
| What I'm not going to pay is for the right to move that song to my computer,
| or to my phone, or wherever, just as I never had to pay to move a song from
| vinyl to cassette tape. The music industry incurs no cost in that transfer,
| and offers me no help in facilitating it. Why should it get paid for that
| transfer?
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9924262-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

McCain Campaign Tastes Plagiarized Recipes

,----[ Quote ]
| The lame explanation for this, well, there isn't an explanation. It's being
| blamed on some "low-level unpaid staff" person, meaning whichever volunteer
| was asked by the campaign to find recipes for the website and slap Mrs.
| McCain's name on them has been thrown under the proverbial campaign bus.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/04/19/mccain-campaign-tastes-plagiarized-recipes

Recent:

Copyright cops demand Ipod tax

,----[ Quote ]
| British legal eagles have been trying to unshackle the UK from a law which
| makes a criminal out of you every time you copy one of your own CDs to your
| mp3 player for some time now, but the Music Business Group (MBG) says it
| won't support the change in legislation unless manufacturers impose the tax.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/17/ippod-tax

Related:

A Legitimate Reason to Hate the Zune (And Microsoft Too)

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the situation: Microsoft has agreed to pay a portion of
| the profits from the sales of the Zune to a record company
| (Universal) because the Zune will undoubtedly be used to
| store unpurchased songs.
|
| [...]
|
| Here it is important to remember a few simple things. The
| money goes to the Universal, not to the artists.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft's move sets a bad precedent and turns all consumers into
| thieves without evidence.
`----

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/a-legitimate-reason-to-hate-the-zune-and-microsoft-too/

Universal to seek money for each iPod sold

,----[ Quote ]
| "It would be a nice idea. We have a negotiation coming up not too
| far. I don't see why we wouldn't do that... but maybe not in the
| same way," Morris said. His "same way" comment is a reference tot
| he Zune, which Universal already gets $1 from after signing a deal
| with Microsoft.

Microsoft says Zune executive will leave company

,----[ Quote ]
| Bryan Lee, corporate vice president at Microsoft's entertainment
| and devices division, also played a key role in shaping the Xbox
| game console business and the introduction of its Internet
| Protocol television software.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6155200.html

World's biggest label kneecaps iTunes store

,----[ Quote ]
| Universal Music Group (UMG) has dealt a serious blow to Apple's music
| ambitions by refusing to renew its contract with the iTunes Store.
|
| [...]
|
| Last year, UMG succeeded in extracting a $1 license fee from Microsoft
| for every Zune player sold. It's rumoured that Nokia declined a
| similar arrangement. If UMG gained a similar amount from Apple,
| that's still only around $40m a year.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/02/universal_snubs_apple/

Music industry meeting could change the Zune

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2007/01/music_industry_meeting_could_change_the_zune.html
http://tinyurl.com/y7z5wl