[News] Making Customised GNU/Linux Distributions, for New Linux Users

Doin' It For The Noob - Takin' It From The Top

,----[ Quote ]
| That folks, concludes our mini series on "Doin' It For The Noob." As I am not
| the Omni-Smart Advocate, there are probably many things I may have
| overlooked...but again, that's why I write. I don't do this because I think
| you need to know what I think.
`----

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/04/doin-it-for-noob-takin-it-from-top.html

Why are Windows and OS X delivered in the very same state to programmers and
9-year-old kids? Can anyone justify this at all?

Related:

Indian schools to use homebrew Debian distro

,----[ Quote ]
| IT@School GNU/Linux is a customized, single-CD distribution that includes
| the applications typically required by a high school student or teacher,
| according to the project. Apart from a wide range of typical desktop
| software, it also contains educational programs such as TuxPaint,
| Ghemical, Kalzium, DrGeo, and Gcompris, school spokesperson Vimal Joseph
| told DesktopLinux.com.

Hands on: Change your PC's graphical look

,----[ Quote ]
| There is no doubt that you get a lot of choice with Linux. This follows
| through to the desktop environment.
| While in OS X and Windows you are stuck with whatever Apple or Microsoft
| gives you, with Linux you can choose your desktop environment.
|
| The two main options are KDE and Gnome, both mature and complete desktops. In
| the past KDE has proved more popular, offering many more advanced features
| and a big selection of powerful applications.
|
| However, while the developers have been concentrating on the upcoming KDE4
| for some time, the Gnome developers haven’t been idle. Gnome follows a
| six-month release cycle, each version adding extra features, better
| performance and more polish.
`----

http://www.itweek.co.uk/personal-computer-world/features/2206276/look-feel-different-3579028

Salesforce.com CEO: Customization is king

,----[ Excerpt ]
| Marc Benioff argues that Apex will let customers diverge further
| from one-size-fits-all hosted applications approach.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6124153.html?part=rss&tag=6124153&subj=news

Customized spins of Fedora

,----[ Quote ]
| When Fedora 7 was released, one of the big features that we talked about was
| the idea of customized spins of the distribution.
|
| Now that Fedora 8 is on the way, it’s useful to look and see how we have
| done, and what sort of custom spins have been created.
`----

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/09/28/customized-spins-of-fedora/

Build a Fedora Live CD

,----[ Quote ]