[News] Holland's Free Software Procurement Plans Discussed

Interview with NOiV's Maarten Wijnen-Meijer on Study on Gov't Acquisition of OS
Software - Pick Your Brains

,----[ Quote ]
| A Dutch study has recently been translated and published in English, "The
| acquisition of (open-source) software", by Nederland Open in Verbinding
| (NOiV), which finds that in Europe, gratis software does not require
| tendering and so gratis Open Source software can be freely downloaded without
| having to go through the usual purchase process. If service is required, that
| service would, however, require going through the normal purchasing process,
| but as a separate matter.

Weeks ago:

NL: Use of Open Source software requires no European IT tenders

,----[ Quote ]
| European public administrations that want to use software that is offered for
| free, such as Open Source software, do not need to organise a call for
| tender.
|
| [...]
|
| According to Wijnen-Meijer the translation is well-received. "At a recent
| Open Source conference in the US, copies were picked up quickly by companies.
| We also have had requests from cities and ministries in Germany and Greece."
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7549

Related:

Dutch "government ISV" adds ODF support

,----[ Quote ]
| Apparently the adoption of ODF by the City of Heerenveen and the City of
| Groningen had some impact on the decision.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/dutch_government_isv_adds_odf

FOSS in Dutch government

,----[ Quote ]
| There will be an office where people can complain if they cannot communicate
| with the government using open standards. So non-compliance of government
| agencies will be measured.
`----

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3142

Dutch government threatens to sideline Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Proposed legislation that would mandate the use of the Open Document Format
| (ODF) across the entire Dutch government has infuriated Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft Netherlands has engaged in fierce lobbying in an attempt to derail
| the plan. The company argues that the current definition is too narrow,
| specifically by mandating ODF rather than open standards in general
`----

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/12/10/dutch/index.phpon-linux

Netherlands Picks ODF

,----[ Quote ]