[News] Free Software's Future Role in Infrastructure

The future of open-source infrastructure is...applications?

,----[ Quote ]
| It occurred to me today that open-source infrastructure providers (e.g.,
| commercial providers of open-source operating systems, databases, application
| servers, etc.) may have much in common with telecommunications infrastructure
| providers (like cable, wireless, etc. providers).
|
| [...]
|
| Still, if we look at the industry today, the most profitable new technology
| company is Google: An infrastructure company that doesn't "do"
| infrastructure, but rather applications that run on its infrastructure.
|
| Perhaps MySQL's/Ubuntu's/Red Hat's/etc. futures are to be more like Google,
| less like Microsoft?
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9923955-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

That's already happening. The fabric of technology (apart from desktop) rarely
includes Microsoft products.

Recent:

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]
| USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
| computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
| and to mine for sensitive personal data.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17/bots-rule-cyberspace
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2008-03-16-computer-botnets_N.htm

Botnets Running Rampant

,----[ Quote ]
| How much money is being stolen by cybercriminals? No one knows, and no one
| even knows how to go about coming up with that number, IronPort's Peterson
| said.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144489/botnets_running_rampant.html

Related:

EveryDNS, OpenDNS Under Botnet DDoS Attack

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://securitywatch.eweek.com/exploits_and_attacks/everydns_opendns_under_botnet_ddos_attack.html